New Cinematic Display vs iMac 24in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jatku, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Jatku macrumors member

So I was considering dropping the $899 on the new display for the MacBook Pros when they come out (even though it seems ridiculously expensive), and then I thought, "why not just get an iMac for a little more?" I poke around and see a refurb 24in iMac for $1299 and think that seems like a much better deal. For an extra $400 you get everything that the display has (minus the magsafe and displayport connection) and the internals of a computer.

Can any of you guys give some reasoning why the display would be better than just getting an iMac? The reasons I can think of are: the $400, new vs refurb, wiring for MB, and maybe less clutter. I don't know if those would convince me over the iMacs benefits though, so I have a few questions. Is the type of display a lot better than the iMac's? Can you configure the iMac so it acts as just a display for the MBP?

2. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

Im afraid id have to agree with you completely
    if you want to use it as a monitor for your laptop i'd use screen sharing across the network, works great for me.

~Wiggle~

3. Jatku thread starter macrumors member

Is screen sharing pretty much instant? Or is there a tiny bit of lag while using it?

Having a cheap iMac would be nice as a backup too, since the MBP will be my only computer pretty soon.