New cloned SSD but still whitescreen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiadrum, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Chiadrum, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

Chiadrum macrumors newbie

Hi all.So I took a leap of faith and picked up an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" from Craigslist on the cheap because it wouldn't boot.Figured I would upgrade RAM and install a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and have a killer machine.The MAC is very clean.When I got it the original hard drive was recognized but wouldn't boot.
    I wanted to install El Capitan fresh but the Mac wouldn't recognize a freshly formatted EVO SSD.So since my wife has a Mac Pro running El Capitan I figured I would just clone it,nothing to lose right?
    So now I hold the option key while powering up and the system shows me the EVO SSD and the El Capitan as my choices.No matter which one I choose the machine tries to boot slowly and the screen goes black.
    I am guessing that the culprit is the SATA cable.Just looking for some confirmation here.
    Also if anyone has a link to the cable.How do I determine the exact model of my Pro without being able to boot?Is there a serial number or something inside the chassis that I can lookup?I see Model # UJ8A8 October 2011.
    Hopefully I didn't make a big mistake.
    Trackpad,keyboard and USB ports are working so Motherboard would seem to be fine.
    Thanks,Vic

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Amazon sell those cables but it could well be a graphics card failure on that model, take it to apple and they'll check the graphics card and replace your motherboard free if that is the problem, however this offer ends in a few days so get it down to them quick.

3. Chiadrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks so much for that.I have an 11:15 appointment this morning!
    I will post the outcome.

4. Chiadrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man thanks so much.Sure enough the Logic board was bad and Apple gave me a new one,a new battery and a new back case for free.Done in 3 days.They even removed my SSD drive and installed a factory 500GB drive that I can now use as a backup.
    My total investment is $450 to have a 15" Macbook Pro that is like new and blazing fast.
    Very happy right now.