new cloud service in town! pretty cool

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by offthehook, Nov 10, 2013.

1. offthehook, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013

offthehook macrumors member

Hey guys and gals!

Just stumbled upon the great Cloud Service "Copy" which as of now has completely replaced Dropbox for me. It is very similar to Dropbox but seems somewhat cleaner and more functional.
    Offers 15 gigs of free storage for starters.

Just thought I'd share the info as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was annoyed with the lousy bonus (250mb) with dropbox and I was sick of getting stuck at 13 gb and constantly having to delete some files to free some space. Copy has a free Ios and Android App as well

Love it ;)

2. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

oh and by the way: if you recommend this service to your friends or family, both you and the person you are recommending this to get 5 gigs of bonus storage.
    using this service since two weeks and love it, the upload speed seems to be a little bit slower than dropbox though

3. Gutwrench, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thank you I'll check it out. So let me ask for full disclosure....do you benefit from people using your link? Like an added 5 g or more?

Here's the developers website: https://www1.copy.com/home/

Edit: you posted an update while I was visiting the dev site.

4. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

hey gutwrench!

hope you'll like it! it has some nice improvements over dropbox in my book.
    and since it was created by a big security company (barracuda) it should be around for a while (hopefully forever)

there's a nice comparison on cnet here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57592985-93/is-dropbox-cloud-storage-too-expensive/

5. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Actually it's 500MB now, and I think you can get to 16GB through it.

The UI seems kinda confusing, and I'm trying to upload ~2GB of files but it doesn't seem to be doing anything :confused:, now I renamed a folder and clicked it on my iPhone and suddenly it says the folder is empty.

Also, something that Dropbox does is keeps deleted files for 30 days and without counting that to your storage, and it doesn't mix them up in a 'trash' folder, it shows them right where they were when they were deleted making restoring them very easy. Copy doesn't even seem to have a trash folder?

Something I find most important though is the upload and download speed of these services, trying to upload gigabytes to Google Drive is too time consuming. If Copy is fast at uploading, then I'd consider switching from Dropbox, but right now I think Dropbox is staying out on top. Problem is, I can't prove if Copy is fast because the 2GB I just tried uploading (To test the speed) doesn't want to work.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    As per our rules, do not post referral codes, as they are prohibited.

7. offthehook, Nov 10, 2013

offthehook thread starter macrumors member

Hey siderz,

sorry to hear you are having trouble. It works fine for me and my friends. Uploaded a 3 gig video file today and it worked perfectly. Do you use the desktop or webapp? Yeah copy does not save an image of deleted files like dropbox does, but it does introduce a brilliant feature called "fair storage" and you can learn more about it here:
    http://youtu.be/m36ZMdE-vro

best regards

8. Siderz, Nov 10, 2013

Siderz macrumors 6502a

Sorry, should have mentioned that I was using the website, not the client.

When using the client of a cloud storage service, I'm not too worried about upload time since it'll just do it in my background, but when I'm using the website, it's likely I'm on a shared computer and I don't want to spend too much time uploading in case I need to leave (Like at college).

9. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

ok I never tried to upload a 2 gig file using the webinterface but as far as I know Copy does not have an upload file size limit so it should work just fine, what browser are you using in college? it might be outdated.

best regards

10. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Google Chrome

11. Mr. McMac, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love it! I've got 70 gigs so far!

Attached Files:

12. Mr. McMac, Nov 10, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

BTW, I've been using it for 216 days according to my account information. So far it blows away the competition. No issues at all, and doesn't seem to have a file size limitation. I still have people that haven't installed the software. I have to get on their case! lol!

Attached Files:

13. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

I've been using it for just two weeks but have to agree, it is way better than the competition, I immediatly transfered my files from
    dropbox and never looked back

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I still use Dropbox, SkyDrive, Box, and Google Drive. Out of these Copy is by far my favorite.

Off topic. Anyone experiencing intermittent slow or down Macrumor forums today?

15. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

yep, forum was down for the last 30 minutes

16. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I've had Copy for a while. It's slower than Dropbox and can't link to apps, but it's nice to have anyway. A good place to back up photos, etc.

17. offthehook thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure they will eventually add app support and improve on speed. I'm quite happy with the upload speed.

18. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I stumbled upon copy a few weeks ago, but I am not sure where & how.

box is kind of a drag having to upload through the webpage, unless this has changed.

19. offthehook, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

offthehook thread starter macrumors member

You can use the desktop app! Works perfectly!