New cMBP battery record

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jabalczar, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jabalczar macrumors member

Just received a new cMBP (13-inch i5) with SSD bto from Apple. Couldn't be happier. The resolution is a big relief after squinting at the 13-inch MBA.

One thing I notice with the SSD in the cMBP is that the fan doesn't come on like with a HD.

Anyhow,

My question is, based on people's experience, how long will the battery last on one charge if wifi is off, bluetooth is off, and the only program running is Word, with say 75% brightness?

Just wondering how much typing I can get done in a day unplugged.

Cheers,

PS. I know the official figures, just wondering what people are seeing in the real world in the usage scenario above, unless I'm the only person to use a laptop as a glorified typewriter.

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

You will probably get pretty decent battery life. What I would do is set your machine up as you wish (wifi off, brightness 75%, bluetooth off, only Word running) and charge the machine fully. Then I would select the battery icon at the top menu bar, this will tell you how much power is left in hours and minutes.

Hope this helps!

3. esskay macrumors 6502

I think Apple claims 7 hrs, but I would guess 5-6 hrs in real life with your fresh battery.

eta -- Oops, sorry that's with wifi on and browser open.

4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I would think you could get about 5-6 hours with the setup you describe. If you were able to lower the screen brightness some, say to 50% or even a click or so lower, you might get over the seven hours advertised.

Let us know what you end up getting.

5. jabalczar thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. I'm comfortably getting between 5 - 6 hours with wifi on and doing whatever I want on the machine.

Testing out my usage scenario today -- wifi/bluetooth off, everything closed but Nisus, and brightness at 60% -- I'm getting just under ten hours, which will pretty much get me through a day's typing unplugged.

I'd say it's slightly better than my 2012 MBA, though not better than the 2013 MBA.

Having the SSD BTO in the MBP seems to have improved the fan, the noise, and the battery life over having a conventional HD.

6. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your purchase. Can I ask you to confirm me if after, like 70 minutes of sleep while running on battery, your cMBP with the OEM's SSD does this ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rghjwckw07m59ea/IMG_0866.MOV

I have the same model that you got (13-inch, Core i5) but upgraded to a third-party brand SSD because where I live they only sell the base model. Thanks for your help. :)

7. robvas macrumors 68020

8. jabalczar thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm afraid mine doesn't do that. It works normally, and actually wakes quicker than my MBA even after extended time asleep. The light also goes one and off like it's snoring.

If you just got it, and put in the SSD yourself, why don't you put the HD back in and see if it still does it.

One of the reasons I paid a little more for an Apple installed SSD was for peace of mind and no hassle if anything goes wrong. But as you say, you didn't have that option (not even from the website for delivery?)

Hope you get it sorted.

9. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Good to know. Where I live Apple doesn't do shipments even though I'm in US territory.:mad: I got my SSD from OWC and after extensive back and forth between them and Apple, I have managed to find a culprit, for some odd reason when I have the SSD installed it enables what is called standby mode that should only be enabled by default on MBA and rMBP. I got the idea from this web article

http://www.zdnet.com/faster-wake-from-sleep-on-macbooks-7000017301/

and toyed with terminal to indeed confirm my suspicions. However I have not found out how to completely disable the feature via terminal yet. During testing I didn't know anyone who had gotten a cMBP BTO with a Apple-supplied SSD until I stumbled upon this thread. :eek: Have been going on for over three months since I purchased my SSD so no chance to send it back. :(

10. Rhythmic- macrumors member

I just got the same Macbook yesterday, so excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with it? I watched the video, but I have no idea what to look for haha.

I plan to upgrade to an SSD soon too, so I'd probably have to watch out for your problem happening to me.

11. comics addict macrumors 6502a

What happens is that, once my SSD has been installed, after a little over a hour (around the 70 minute mark) my notebook is going into standby mode that Apple introduced last year but for MBA and rMBP. But I at first thought that it was a defect or incompatibility between my drive and my computer until I stumbled upon the article I link to on my previous post.