new cMBP vs refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babucher, Sep 28, 2012.

1. babucher macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a relatively new Macbook Pro, and I'd like to get some feedback on my options. Combine the rMBP display problems people are reporting with the fact that I don't _really_ _really_ need a rMBP, I'm planning on a cMBP. The main things I'd like are:

* A solid state drive 256gb or greater
    * The ability to install an SATA hard drive (say 750gb)
    * The ability to upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16gb

So, my question is, what do I lose by purchasing a refurbished unit?

Right now I'm looking at a new cMBP:

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display (or antiglare?)
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    $2299

I'd get a kit from OtherWorldComputing to put in a 240gb solid state drive as the main drive, and use the 750gb SATA drive as a storage drive in the optical bay.

If I were to go the refurbished route, I'd try something like this:

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released June 2012
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution
    8GB (2 x 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    1TB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    versus a new 15-inch?

For the refurb I'd also get an OWC kit to install the 240gb solid state drive and move the 1tb SATA drive to the optical bay.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Another thread? There are soooo many reviews on here its pathetic.

3. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I would go with the refurb. I myself got one and it is flawless. As far as the specs on the refurb I would see if they had the same model you specified but with the 2.6 ghz processor because you most likely won't notice the difference between that and the 2.7. That way you can probably save about $200 too.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd go with the refurbished models. I've bought all of mine refurbished and they're a much better value in the long run. The money you save also gives you more money left over for upgrades in the long term.

5. Podifer macrumors newbie

With the specs you've listed I would go for the refurb. Still the latest model so you would have all the bells and whistles you could possibly want. I bought your 'new' spec cMBP in June when they came out (albeit with a 7200rpm drive) and love it, but if the refurb is at a good price go for it.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Another vote for refurb. I bought my previous Early-2011 17" as a 'furb and it was totally flawless.

7. identity macrumors 6502

I bought an open box base 2012 MBP for $1399 at Best Buy. The guy took off $100 from $1499 for the eductional discount as well so that's how it came to $1399. Not bad considering Apple refurbished were higher for base models and upgraded ones. This saved me hundreds of dollars which I can use for more ram and a SSD.

8. babucher, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

babucher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, all. The open box idea seems interesting.

In the refurb models, has anyone here tried installing a SSD as the main drive in the optical bay, or moved the SATA drive to the optical bay and installed a SSD in the present HD location? OWC seems to be the way to go, but I'm open to other options.

Man, NutsNGum, after seeing your post now I'm thinking about a 17" instead of the 15"...thanks for making my decision even harder. (haha)