New cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhinoevans, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Well, I am in Bahrain and typing this message on the new cMPB at the store. Had set my heart on buying this one, but wanted to looK at the rMBP JUST ONE MORE TIME, and they are sold out. :mad::mad::mad:

No Retina display models either, sooo

I juess we will run to the mall and look at the APple store. Still think I am sold on the cMBP, BUT, had talked myself into 8 G RAM is enough and could live with the 256 SSD, and just upgrade next year to an 480G with OWC.

But the end of the day I WILL OWN ONE, and it looks like since I am onlt here for 2 days, it will be the cMBP.

Wish me luck

Bahrain

Edit: APplecare, yes or no. It is $329 here, no tax. That is probably standard. DO you have to buy Applecare at purchase or os their some time period?

2. markus843 macrumors regular

If you're looking to get the 13" rMbp, don't. There are many problems with it and literaly 70% of them have a burned image after about 1 hour of use. I had my 13" rMbp on for about an hour and i noticed that when i put it to sleep, the display that was open was burned on to the screen. My opinion is to just pay the extra money for the 15" or just settle with the non retina Mbp

Also for apple care, honestly the 1 year warrenty for the mac would be enough, unless you will tend to move it alot to other place, and whatnot. And I think you have up to 14 days to buy/extend applecare.

3. Rhinoevans thread starter macrumors 6502

No it is the 15 inch I am looking at. That's for the info on the apple care.

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: AppleCare...

Hi Rhinoevans,

Just to let you know, I believe you can extend your 1 year warranty to 3 years of AppleCare at any time during the 1 year warranty period, not just during the first 14 days.

Regards,
    Switon

5. Rhinoevans thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, you are right, you can purchase AppleCare as long as the product is still under the original 1 year warranty.

6. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

If you're getting the cMBP with an SSD, you might as well get the retina since the pricing won't be that much higher

7. Rhinoevans thread starter macrumors 6502

Purchased the cMBP today from the Navy Exchange in Bahrain. I had decided on the cMBP, however they were sold out of the rMBP. I want 16G ram and they only sell the standard configuration, no special orders from Apple, and the main reason I purchased their is it the only real US place over here. Also no TAX. :)

Also was able to purchase the Military Service plan, $99 for 2 years and covers Accidental damage.

Already ordered 16G Ram from OWC and was able to get Parallels 8 for 50% off ($39.99)

SSD maybe next year or if I find a good deal on a Samsung 830/840 during the Holidays.

Also MAC Office 2011 Home and Business for $99

The Retina model was $2200 + $200 for 8 more Gig of ram. This was $1789 +$100 for 16G and hopefully around another $100 for a 256G SSD a few months down the road.

I went to the City Center Mall in Bhrain just to look at the Retina. Very nice screen, but I really like the fact that I can upgrade and saved around $400

8. Sgtarky macrumors regular

I basically got the same deal from Ft Rucker AAFES last month. I too have upgraded to 16 gig plan. I bought the AAFES protection plan but I am thinking I shouldve got the applecare simply because I feel there might be a quicker turnaround time. I am pretty sure they dont fix them themselves they probably farm it out to some other group. I got the 3 year plan. Enjoy your mac.

9. Rhinoevans thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point on the turn around time. Never thought about that. I also have a Sony VAIO i7, and if the turn around time is too long, I'll just buy another Mac to hold me over, maybe the mini and connect to an extra monitor. I usually treat my computers very cautiously anyway

10. Sgtarky macrumors regular

I have only had mine a month and I cracked the touchpad. I went to the applestore and they will replace it for 90 bucks. So I will see what they with my aafes plan, it would be nice if they pay to have apple fix it. I will keep you posted on how this works...now I am kicking myself for not getting applecare. but if you are deployed the aafes thing might be best since applestores may be hard to get to.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Literally 70%?

I would be interested to see where you got that statistic. Hopefully not by counting complaint posts on this forum.