New Cocoa book for programming beginners in the works.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by GorillaPaws, Sep 28, 2009.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Scott Stevenson, the author of some really great Cocoa tutorials, as well as some excellent blog posts related to Cocoa is in the process of writing a new Cocoa book. The first several chapters are available through O'Reilly's Rough Cuts program where you can pay to have access to the pre-release version of the book. Here's a link to the site for the book.

I've only had a chance to read the first few chapters so far, and the approach Stevenson has taken is really interesting. It's a very colloquial/conversational tone that is primarily geared towards someone without any programming background. I think it's a cool approach, that may prove more accessible for people who have tried the Kochan/Hillegass track, but couldn't make enough headway to stick with it. After reading the first few chapters, I will say that there is less depth here than either of those books, so people will still likely want to pick up Kochan and Hillegass.

More Mac-specific programming resources are always welcome imo, so I hope this book can meet it's ambitious goals (covering the basics of C, Objective-C, and Cocoa in one ~320 page book).

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This will be a handy book for newbies. Hopefully it will be good enough that anyone who is brand new can just pick it up and start learning. Much easier I think than reading multiple books on C, Obj-C, Cocoa, Xcode, etc.