New Comcast Cable Modem incompatible with Apple wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pianoman88, Aug 10, 2013.

1. pianoman88 macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2010
    I installed the new Comcast cable modem two days ago. The outputs include a single USB port , 4 network ports, and 2 phone lines.

Will any Apple device (Airport Extreme/Airport Express) work seeing as there isn't a WAN port to connect to?

Are there any other possibilities?

My iPhone and iPad won't connect to the new modem; my Mac Mini works fine, however.
  2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    It will work if you select "Router Mode: Off" in the Network page of AirPort Utility. You'll let your modem do all the routing functions & use the AirPort only as a wireless access point & Ethernet switch.
  3. chrfr macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2009
    There's likely also a way to turn off the routing functions inside the cable modem, which is what i'd rather do.
  4. Julien macrumors G4

Jun 30, 2007
    As already stated and to help clarify. Your Comcast is a modem and router. You can't have 2 routers assigning IP addresses. This is a conflict. If you want to use an Extreme as the router then you will need to put the Comcast in "bridged" mode if it allows.

Also you probobly pay a monthly rental fee ($5-$10) and would be better off in the long run buying your own cable modem (example).
  5. tmurray87, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

tmurray87 macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2011
    I was in the same boat, but got some help on twitter by messaging this guy @comcastwill. He turned off the router but let the modem work fine and now I have my airport extreme working great