New Comcast modem with wifi and my time capsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrskullfreak, Feb 19, 2015.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Comcast installed a new wifi modem I always use my time capsule for wifi
    If I use two wifi's will that make it slow?
    Also I turned off the wifi on the time capsule but I can't backup my Mac now does anyone no the way am supposed to hook it up so it will?
    Thx.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I'd buy your own modem (that doesn't have WiFi) and use that instead. That way you have complete control over your hardware, and aren't paying Comcast a monthly fee for renting the modem. I think it's up to like $7 or $9 a month now

4. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Can you recommend a good one?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Motorola SB6121 or SB6183 depending on Internet speed and budget. I recommend avoiding the SB6143 if you are using an AirPort as they sometimes have issues.

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Are you using their home phone service as well?

7. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

Comcast = fun

I have Comcast internet service in Michigan and I had a Motorola Surfboard 6141 connected to my Airport Extreme (newest model). It was horrible. Apparently this is a known issue that comes up sometimes with Comcast--some parts of their network DO NOT work well with the Motorola SB6141. I followed the advice of some folks on the Apple support forum and bought a Zoom 5341J and haven't had a problem since. I don't know the details but the Motorola modems are generally quite good, unless you happen to be on certain parts of Comcast's network. If you have problems with the Surfboard try the Zoom modem--as I said, it fixed my problems.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have heard many reports of the SB6141 having issues with AirPorts in general but the slower SB6121 is fine as is the SB6183. I also heard issues with the SB6141 for all networks on some revisions. It kind of irks me that the flagship Motorola modem has many issues with Apple routers and some configurations yet the other models don't. Thankfully, the SB6183 is out and does not have any of those issues and is a lot faster than the SB6141.