New comer: questions about Security and Networking

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WirelessInn, Jun 26, 2007.

1. WirelessInn macrumors regular

Got my new MBP going and fast learning how to use it.
    I come from heavy Windows ("Win") environment, and of course I have had (and still do!) to deal with Norton/Symantec Security utilities, WebRoot Anti spam ware, etc...
    I hear that no such thing is necessary on the Mac, especially security software. True? No virus??? Really???
    However, I have read about the Mac's Firewall and its various options. Any practical pointers from any seasoned Mac user as to how to best approach the Mac's firewall?
    RE: networking. I have inserted my BP into my predominantly Win network. No problem with accessing (read/write) Win computers' shared drives/folders in he same workgroup. However, everytime I boot up the Mac, I have to re-mount the Win date drives i am needing & accessing via the network; any way to have the Mac immediately spot my LAN drives (as it of course does the wireless network it is on) so as to avoid having to remount?
    Thanks!
    - Roger T

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No OS is "absolutely" safe. The MacOS is more robust than most, and most antivirus solutions do more harm than good. I've never used one on the Mac, but have several on my WinXP laptop and always logging hits.

Leave the firewall settings at default to start, and turn on services as you specifically need them. I've never had a machine penetrated in all the time I've been online (going back to the BBS days). That being said, a router is always a good idea; direct connects are like daring someone.

Try placing the networked drives in the Login Items (System Preferences:Login Items, click the + at the bottom beneath the items list, then navigate to the *already* attached drive), that should automatically attach them on boot. I can't do that, as I'm mobile most of the time, so I may have missed a point on that one.

Welcome, and happy 'puting!

Attached Files:

3. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, JohnNotBeatle.

I am still amazed that just leaving FWall settings in defaul prevents all manners of troubles so well known in the Win world: virus, trojan horses, others... Why is that then: 1) because of the limited presence of Mac on the market, making it rather not very impactful for some hacker to attack Mac OS, OR 2) because of the intrinsinc architecture of the Mac OS, which might actually fend off such activity all by itself? After all, looking at Norton/Symantec for example, it is obvious that that company does not push its Mac products very vigorously (Symantec NIS for Mac for example is several versions behind Win's). I need to know, because I feel funny just hopping on the net without "protection"!!!

Re: networking and having easier access to network resources upon Mac boot up, I did what ou suggested, and it seems to work somewhat, but still requires that I authenticate access to the network drive (acually a HD on aother, Win machine on the network) before the corresponding volme icon appears on the desktop. Anyway to get rid of that step: after all, i am accessing a trusted network resource!!

Also - see attached illustration of my OpenInternetConnect Box - i am having trouble locating whether OTHER wireless networks are available around me... ANd I DO KNOW that there are besides my own "theinnathalona". How does one get the Mac to scan for other available networks??

- Thanks

4. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Hummm ... Forgot to attach illustration!! here it is!

Thanks, JohnNotBeatle.

I am still amazed that just leaving FWall settings in defaul prevents all manners of troubles so well known in the Win world: virus, trojan horses, others... Why is that then: 1) because of the limited presence of Mac on the market, making it rather not very impactful for some hacker to attack Mac OS, OR 2) because of the intrinsinc architecture of the Mac OS, which might actually fend off such activity all by itself? After all, looking at Norton/Symantec for example, it is obvious that that company does not push its Mac products very vigorously (Symantec NIS for Mac for example is several versions behind Win's). I need to know, because I feel funny just hopping on the net without "protection"!!!

Re: networking and having easier access to network resources upon Mac boot up, I did what ou suggested, and it seems to work somewhat, but still requires that I authenticate access to the network drive (acually a HD on aother, Win machine on the network) before the corresponding volme icon appears on the desktop. Anyway to get rid of that step: after all, i am accessing a trusted network resource!!

Also - see attached illustration of my OpenInternetConnect Box - i am having trouble locating whether OTHER wireless networks are available around me... ANd I DO KNOW that there are besides my own "theinnathalona". How does one get the Mac to scan for other available networks??

- Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Check out my attachment.... hehe

My airport card automatically picks up all available networks in the area without me doing anything but turning it on, a nice little feature. also, check out the Network icon in system preferences, there is some customizations in there, like going from joining automatic or preferred network.

Attached Files:

6. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Corrosive Vinyl,
    Thanks for the reply. I found indeed the settings in Network (preferences). I found many other things buried in there since.
    - rt

7. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Thanks a lot.. :) I had the same questions, so I just messed around till I found it... system Prefs are always a good starting point for other issues.