Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's a little visually dark, and I feel like his voice could use some more compression and pop suppression, but otherwise, I really like it. And a good message. :)

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
As far as the darkness goes, its corrected for SD broadcast use, so it shows up brighter on a normal TV, since computer sceens have more contrast, its a little darker.
Audio is something I still am working with on all my projects, thanks for the tips, they will definately come in handy!

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Very good... very good...

I was thinking the text could use a little work though. Just as far as font and placement. A little bit of motion and enlarging on those numbers... but then again that might be to much.

Where will it be aired?

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
The video is meant to take after MADD commercials that you see on TV all the time. The text follows the same idea, simple with nothing extra or special other than a fade or two.
It is being submitted to MADD Canada, hopefully then to be aired on Canadian TV and posted on MADD's website aswell.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
The story is fiction. It was something I've wanted to do for a bit, just never had an excuse to do it until now!:D
Thanks for all the tips and responses.
Keep em' comin!

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
the actor, sorry if you are the actor, is a bit over dramatic. his voice is a bit annoying as a result of the quivering tones that sound like a soap opera. the message is right on though. also from a video standpoint, it is way way to dark. more importantly, the ability to disassociate yourself from the situation is easier because of the lack of ever really seeing his face or emotions; no it doesn't make you feel like it could be me or anyone.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
As i have already explained the video darkness is due to contrast and screen calibration for example, i have 2 screens i use, my imac's screen and a Sony screen, the sony screens shows the video brighter than the imac's does, and the Sony's is still not as bright as SD TVs are, playing it on a SD TV shows perfectly, and it's meant to be shown that way.
As far as the actor goes, this is his second time on screen, and i dont expect him to be perfect at what he does, nor do I have to pay him:D.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
look, just giving you the feedback you asked for right? anyway, good luck with your awareness campaign.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
look, just giving you the feedback you asked for right? anyway, good luck with your awareness campaign

I apologise if I seemed to be angry or rude with your response, that was not the intention.

I thank you for the info.

King Cole

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Improvements

A couple things:

The text is too fat. Choose a better font- that doesn't match a MADD commercial... A better font with nicer sizing will add significantly to the power of the message. EDIT: Just re-watched it and the text is better than I remember.

You see the hands too often. Use that clip sparingly; right now it detracts in power because you focus on the hands, not his words.

It's too dark. I know you say TV is lighter, but you said yourself you hope it's on the web. Even if it's not, I just viewed it on my calibrated NTSC monitor through FCP which is designed for luma and chroma correction on television, and it's way too dark. Video luma isn't bumped on TV's, if anything, the color curve is crushed.

Give the girl a name; I knew it was just a story when there was no name, date, or picture. MADD commercials always make the stories "real." Give it one of these things and you will add a legitimacy and weight to your short that you have not had before. Right now it is a repeat of many stories we have heard before.

You've got major potentional with this clip, make some changes to really enhance it.

JC

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Good idea with changing around the hand shots, i was thinking that myself.
As far as the brightness goes, im presently trying to correct it best for all types of media, and finding a good look.
Also does anyone know the normal % rating your video should be at in RGB Parade. Right now that video is sitting at 40%.

The reason I dont have the girls name other than "she" is due to the fact that the MADD commercials you see on TV, when they have a name included, that commecial is non-fiction, the name and the story are true.
This commercial, since i am submitting it to MADD, i had to make sure that MADD didnt think it was a "real" personthe story was about, otherwise they ask for info. to prove that person is real. But if I leave that blank, theres no issue.

Thanks again everyone!:D

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
I like it. Having lost a loved one (who wasn't drunk) to drunk driving, really makes me love this. So i definately applaud your message.

I also agree with the comment about the hands. I end up focusing on his jewelry and not him.

I also agree with his voice sounding over exagerated. I think it would be stronger if the actor was actually very stoic (sp?) sounding. NOt sounding like he didn't care, but not like he is about to cry either. I don't know...just throwing out ideas.

-JE

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Overall I enjoyed it. The text was a bit hard to read and faded away abit too quickly. Maybe have it one second longer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.