New computer advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iDabble, Mar 2, 2012.

1. iDabble macrumors regular

I have that new Mac itch and will be buying a new computer after the line is refreshed (hopefully with redesign).

What I do/will do with my computer:

-Adobe CS5.5
    -iMovie and starting on Final Cut
    -light GarageBand and will be learning Logic
    -several Autodesk
    -3D modeling

I'm a recent design school grad. Very rarely do I need to do anything serious while portable. Most of my serious work is at my desk at home. This may change in the future though.

What I currently have:

-Mid '11 2.7 i5 27" iMac
    -27" Cinema Display
    -iPad 16 gb

I'm debating between going a few different ways...

Keep iMac and get a MacBook Air to complement it that can also be used with the Cinema Display at times

Sell iMac and get a loaded 15" MBP and use it with the Cinema Display at home (any real advantage to upgrading to TB?)

Sell iMac and get a base Mac Pro with upgraded gaphics then load it up myself with SSD and 16+ GB ram. Use it with the Cinema Display. Continue using iPad for portable needs.

I find that Lion makes having 2 displays less useful and one 27" screen seems to be enough.

Any advice or other suggestions would be welcome.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Wow, can your iMac that's not even a year old yet not handle your tasks? If it can, don't bother updating.

If you need a portable solution, then yeah, selling your iMac and going with an MBP and ACD isn't a bad idea. A TBD (ATD?) would probably only be advantageous if you had some need to daisy chain TB devices. Never owned either though and found this in a different thread comparing the two:

4. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

you won't want to do 3d on a laptop neither video and i cant speak for audio.
    Stick to your current mac and save your money. If you truly do need to upgrade I would get the mac pro and give it 32gb of ram with great gpu and 16 cores but you will go through a hell of a lot of cash for someone who i assume is not working as a professional yet. You will probably end up getting a job working for someone using their machines anyway. May as well save the money and put it toward a house.