new computer...air vs macbook pro 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbenjamin, May 11, 2010.

1. mbenjamin macrumors newbie

i need advise...i need to get a new laptop for work. at my office i would plug it into a key board and external monitor, but I also travel alot and need to use it on planes, hotel rooms etc. i do want something easy to carry and durable. Right now I use a Sony Viao (9")...but am switching to mac...QUESTION...do I get the new updated MBP 13 (which I played with at the store and feels great) or the Air?
    Does anyone know when the new AIr is coming out? Should I wait? ANy ideas on how it will be different?

2. strausd macrumors 68030

You will get more bang for you buck with the 13 inch MBP and it is still pretty portable.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Definitely do not get the current Air. It's not worth it. Read this article from Ars about the possible Air refresh later in the summer.

I honestly think the current 13" MBP is portable on its own and is more bang for the buck than any Air.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The AIR update (soon ???) will change the comparison but for right now it's a slam dunk for the MBP. Everything about the MBP is better.

cheers
    JohnG

5. pruhawk macrumors member

If you need it today, the 13 inch MBP is the solid choice. If you can wait (and if they update the MBA to a similar chip set, 4 GB ram & a 256 ssd) then the question becomes 3 lbs vs 4.5 lbs and at what additional cost

6. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Get the MBP 13. the Air would be a bad choice right now with the current max memory restrictions.

The 13 is PLENTY portable, and has a killer battery life.

7. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Well, it depends on your line of work. If you are a video editor, get a MacBook Pro. If your prime use is Office and the web, then even the existing MacBook Air is easily powerful enough (although, I would make sure you get the SSD model).

8. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

For what you pay, neither computer is worth the price unless you absolutely without compromise need the form factors they offer.

9. wisty macrumors regular

Huh? The 15" (which is what you have) is a better computer, but unless you need the performance it's overkill. SSD more important than the CPU or GPU at the moment. Unless you like games, or do lots of graphics editing.

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Agreed to an extent. Personally, considering what you get - I just don't find the price-tag of the 13" MBP/MBA to be worth it.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The MBP 13 is right now a better choice that an MBA. We'll see what happens once MBA get upgraded, but at the moment it is simply too constraining.

12. skunnykart macrumors regular

Strongly agree! MBP 13" is almost as portable as the Air for everyday use and cheaper too. In fact, I bought a MBP and upgraded it with a SSD (SSD not from apple) and it's still cheaper than getting a MBA with the stock HDD.

But nothing I can think of will be lighter than the Sony Vaio that you've been using. Is it the Vaio P?