New computer build, decided not to go mac.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zombie Acorn, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I had a hard decision ahead of me, go mac and pay 2500 dollars for what I needed or go PC and get nearly the same for 700. I went PC, although I still wish mac os x would run on it (think about it steve).

Anyone else feel free to post your rigs, I haven't got the parts yet so I can't yet :mad:

Antec Three Hundred Computer Case
    Intel Core2quad Q9400 2.66
    Asus striker II Extreme mb
    BFG Tech GTX 260 896mb graphics
    4gb DDR3 1333
    500 g hard drive (already had)

Ive never been so attracted to a motherboard:

[​IMG]

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I would love to see anyone build a Mac Pro similar computer for $700. Actually, if you're able to do that, I'll buy the parts for you. :)

But honestly, the processor they put in the Mac Pro's is over $700. Your Core2Quad is no where near the speed the Xeon Nehalem. Judging from the specs of your build, you should of been looking at the iMac, not the Mac Pro in comparison to the computer you built.

3. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Yes, a Xeon is not a Core2Quad by any stretch (and even the Core2Quad is yesterday's news by now). However, some people need expandability more than sheer processing oomph, and the Mac Pro is the only thing in Apple's lineup that really offers that.

I'm glad I bought my Mac Pro in 2008. Got the low-end, single quad-core 2.8GHz model. It was a much better bang-for-the-buck system than the current low-end, semi-crippled single quad Mac Pro. It's overkill for my needs from a processing standpoint, but I can pack it with RAM and storage and keep using it for many, many years.

Actually, I wish Apple would drop the Xeons from the low-end Mac Pro model and go with a cheaper Core i7 architecture. On the PC side, there are some really nice bang-for-the-buck systems in the $1,500 range. Save the Xeons for the high-end, dual quad systems.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

why didn't you get an i7?

6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

EXACTLY what I think all the time when people claim to build a PC that's either "better" or "the same" as a mac pro.

7. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't want to spend over 1000, plus I can overclock this thing well over what I need.

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We'll see when I get done overclocking and benchmarking. The current imac wouldn't be able to touch this computer even in stock condition. Way underpowered graphics, still running core 2 duo and I can easily overclock faster.

Also the xeon processor in the mac pro offered now only passmarks 1000 over my processor in stock conditions.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Only 1,000? :rolleyes:

10. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

About the difference between a i7 920 and a i7 950.

11. Azmordean macrumors 6502

The question, of course, is your use. Sure, the Xeon Mac Pro has a lot more "theoretical" computing power than a PC with a Core2Quad, or even a non-Xeon i7. But that's theoretical. PRACTICALLY speaking, for most users, the PC with the Quad or i7 will be as fast, or potentially faster.

Bottom line is, absent high end workstation type applications, not much software can actually take advantage of the computing power of the Mac Pro. Even those CPU-intensive tasks that consumers engage in, like gaming, won't really take advantage of a Xeon. They'll be as fast, or faster, on a regular i7.

Frankly, whatever people on this forum or at Apple think, there is a SIGNIFICANT market I call the "prosumer desktop market." These are people who want a HIGH END, EXPANDABLE desktop. Not a mini-supercomputer, not a "scientific workstation," but a normal desktop with high end components and expandability.

Apple flat doesn't make one. The iMac is an all-in-one with laptop parts and a not so great video card and zero expandability, and the Mac Pro is a workstation class computer.

I don't blame the OP. For any normal person's uses, the PC he built for $700 is cheaper and substantially faster than an iMac, and is "as good as" a Mac Pro, while remaining fully expandable. It's hard to pick Apple when you are in his market segment. My best friend was recently making a computer decision, and he made the same choice the OP did. Apple can have the best software in the world, but if they don't have hardware that meets your needs, then people will look elsewhere. Personally, if I weren't a laptop person, I'd probably be going back to Windows too!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree that it's not significant, and that's before considering the huge saving in cost.

13. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My thoughts exactly. I love mac os x but am left with a choice between an underpowered iMac with a screen I don't need or an overpriced mac pro which looks and performs badass but not 2500 dollars worth for me.

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Just make sure you can turn your machine into a Hackintosh ;)