Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meriah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Hey Folks,

I need a new computer, my 7 year old MacBook Pro is long in the tooth and performance is an issue now.
I am looking at either a new MacBook Pro or an iMac in the next week or two.
Of course the new models are due out "soon" and I should wait, but I hate the waiting game.
My question is of the current models out are you folks getting things done comfortably?
I use LPX and sometimes Protools, what are the current models limitations or weak points?

Just looking for some thoughts on this before I purchase.

Thank you for any input you might offer on the topic.

Meriah

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I hate the waiting game also.. I just picked up a Mid 15 MacBook Pro 15 earlier this year, and I think it's a great machine. I use Logic frequently as well as other audio and notation softwares such as Notion, Finale, and Studio One. I also perform live using MainStage. I am not a Pro Tools user.

If the current rumors for the new MBPs are accurate, here are my thoughts. I have way too much gear that relies on USB, and having to buy a bunch of USB C to A adapters and carry them around would suck. The current port config is PERFECT for me. At my desk, I use both TBs for external monitors, and USBs for interfaces, MIDI, etc. I frequently use the HDMI to hook into large format displays (read: TVs).

I think that the touch bar could be awesome, though. Imagine using it as a fader in Logic. Or for automation. Of course, that's if the developers decide to use it for that.

The current rMBP has a solid port config and is an amazing machine for audio work.

As for the iMac vs rMBP debate, I don't know why you would buy a rMBP unless you need portability. The iMac will be far more powerful and have more ports, among other things.

Weak points? It kind of kills me how much fast storage in an iMac costs. I can get along with 256GB in a laptop, but my desktop needs more. The 512GB SSD makes the price skyrocket, and thats about as sickening as shopping for Thunderbolt storage. The biggest weakness of the rMBP is obvious the comparatively dated hardware. But you know what? I use my rMBP every day and it is a pleasure. Never do I think to myself, "Man, I wish the processor wasn't two years old."

Meriah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
Thinking it over now, but I will purchase something this week.
I just want to be working and not waiting :)

Thanks, again!

Meriah

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
What model did you end up getting? I had the stock 2014 13" MBP and it just wasn't cutting it for me with logic. I ended up getting a maxed out 2015 13" model (minus the 1 TB SSD) and I've been loving it

linguist

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
What model did you end up getting? I had the stock 2014 13" MBP and it just wasn't cutting it for me with logic. I ended up getting a maxed out 2015 13" model (minus the 1 TB SSD) and I've been loving it

probably the added RAM helps with huge sample data ?

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
probably the added RAM helps with huge sample data ?
The added RAM lets me do so much more than before. I often use similar plug ins on multiple tracks from different projects and it's nice to have no stutter when opening multiple projects. It also helps a ton when I am recording my own samples that I loop back through MIDI and the updated CPU makes bounces take a much smaller amount of time than my old computer.

Meriah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
I never did get a new MacBook Pro, I ended up buying an iMac for now and it is working well!

Maybe before years end I will buy a new MacBook Pro :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.