New Computer Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kleankanteen, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kleankanteen macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro from about 2010/11 and seems to be on its last legs (super slow,laggy etc etc).

I am looking to buy a new macbook (regular or air) but am hesitant.

Do you think it'd be smart to potentially wait for the newest ones (any idea when that'd be?) or go ahead and purchase one that is out now.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JAK2015 macrumors newbie

You might not need a new computer at all, unless this one is not meeting your needs. Fixing the issue would probably be cheaper than a new computer.
    Might be a full HD, or system software trouble, or the hard drive might be failing. If you have an Apple Store near you, go in for a free consult.
    If you have never backed up your data, that would be a priority at this time, whether you need a repair, or you decide on a new computer. You will have a much better experience with Apple if you back up before you take the time to go in.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Good luck!

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

No updates until WWDC in late June or Early July! The new ones should be fine depending on what your using it for.

Are you near an Apple Store or reseller? Can you take your computer in and have the genius bar diagnose it for you? Do that before you buy anything, could save you a lot of money.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I would say definitely take the actions that everyone is suggesting before buying because it could just be a small, relatively inexpensive fix.

However, if you are just looking for a new MacBook, I would suggest holding out until the Skylake Macs come out in the June/July timeframe. Of course, if you can't wait that long, the current line up is still pretty amazing, so you wouldn't be settling for anything. It's simply just a matter of choice.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Adding a SSD to that vintage makes it like a new Mac. My late 2011 is plenty for everything I throw at it. All I did was max out the memory and add a SSD. Very few people are CPU bound in their work. While newer Macs have faster processors, it's the other system improvements that make the most difference in the speed increases they see.