new computer, how to move itunes library to another PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gloor, May 20, 2010.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi, my roommate got a new PC and she would like to know what is the best way to move the iTunes library to the new PC.
    She was on XP and now is on Vista. (didn't listen to me when I said mac :) )

She ripped some of her cd's but mainly bought stuff from the store itself. There are few she got in mp3 form already but not much.

So, anyone knows how to transfer this to the new computer and have the library, playlists etc the same?

Thank you guys

2. awilson155 macrumors newbie

all you have to do is copy all of the files in your itunes folder on the old computer, and put them in the itunes folder on your new computer.

I did this when i put bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, kept everything (ratings, play counts, playlists, etc.)

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Bratboy macrumors member

Question on the same topic, but a bit different

Hi all.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but haven't spotted this scenario before.

I have just crossed over from PC to Mac... managed to transfer a good chunk of music I had on PC/External HD onto my new MBP... but there's stuff on my iPod that isn't available (one of the laptops I had died)

I know there is software out there to copy the music on your iPod to computer/laptop... but just wondered if it still works if you're iPod was synched to a different platform (or does it not matter.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    b.

5. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

it doesn't matter what OS it was formatted on. use music rescue to get all your songs from your ipod to your mac. it's a REALLY easy program to use! that's how i got my songs from my windows-formatted PC to my mac.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

is there a way to keep the play count information when moving itunes libraries? getting a new laptop at work and going to have to move my itunes library. old and new laptops are both Windows 7

7. Restinbeast macrumors member

Lots of people have more media than an ipod can hold so it's not really the best method. If you are transferring from PC to Mac it's extremely easy because osx reads windows formatting and you can simply drag and drop your itunes off a windows formatted external HD.

Going the other way I assume would be trickier and I guess you'd have to use FAT32, but who the hell switches FROM a mac to a PC :)

8. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Turn on home sharing on both computers. Easiest way.