New Computer, Itunes & Syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nick1817, Oct 18, 2011.

1. nick1817 macrumors member

My old "main" PC died last week and the new one arrives today. How do I go about setting up Itunes on the new PC, making it the "main" PC?

My concern is the second I plug in my Iphone it will wipe it during sync, won't it?. I need to update to iOS5, and again, don't want to lose all my apps, data, pictures, etc. I can creat a backup- but that's not a full restore point, is it?

2. WinkyMacRumors macrumors newbie

Perhaps Senuti will answer your issue?

Hello,
    If you are worried about what you have bought with your AppleID, you should not. It is all connected to your AppleID and thous, it is "just" to download and re-sync it.

If you want to try drag information out from your iOS device, you should look into Senuti (http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/).

I have no own experience on this application since I don't own an iOS device. But many talks highly about this program.

Remember, iOS device is seen as a target for information, not a source. Therefore Apple have not, to my knowledge, make it possible to extract information (data and application) from your device.

//Winky

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

You'll need to get itunes set up on the new PC before plugging in the phone.

See iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer to get started.

Since your old PC died, probably the best start is to restore from backup, the guide above should give the locations to pay attention to.

If you have no backups, I think there are programs you can buy which will extract the music from your phone, but I have no familiarity with any of them.

4. nick1817 thread starter macrumors member

I have all my music on an external HD, but it seems Itunes did not save Iphne backups there, but locally in the "my Docments" region which is the dead HD

My main concern with restoring from "no"backup is losing 100's of photos and the PIA that will be reinstalling all the apps, settings, music, etc