New computer needed, a couple of questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kingofdust, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Kingofdust macrumors newbie

So first off hello to everyone, new here and new to macs, but not new to apple. My windows 7 pc is starting to go after 2.5 years and while I loved the machine I can't have an unreliable computer as I am a merchant marine and at sea during the summer and go to school during the year.

For the reliability of macs I am willing to make the jump from windows and dive into this new world, but I need some guidance.

My w7 pc was an i7 quad core forst generation at 1.7 ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a dedicated graphics card. I used the crap out of this thing and it got really hot, and I think that's what caused the problems it is having, after smelling some burning.

So with that in mind I am in the market for a new laptop and not sure what to go with. Obviously I want the new retina but not sure if I want to go with the base model or the 2.6. Or of I should stick with the old style.

I will be running photoshop, Lightroom, autocad, video editing software, and some other big programs. Most of the time I run them together or in different combinations, all which the 1.7 was able to Handel decently.

So what do you guys think would be the logical computer to go for based on the programs I use and the laptop I am coming from?

And I have no problem using safari so as long as the internet looks good in that on the retina I have no problem. I don't need to run chrome or Firefox.

Thank you for any help!!

2. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

If you do anything with pictures and video editing, the Retina would be best if you ask me. Maybe an upgraded processor as well.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Either 15.4" MacBook Pro's will serve you justice. (Retina or regular)

I'm partial to the upgraded Retina, if you have the money. Also, consider 16GB RAM for longevity reasons, but I don't see that as an issue for the near future. (5 years) You sound like an intensive user, so the bump in specs would be helpful for you. I you end up with the standard MacBook, make sure you get an SSD. Well worth the investment, but also consider installing the part yourself to save money. Although, Apple's SSD's are becoming more competitive in price.

Good luck! You'll love whichever you buy. They will devour the intended programs.