New computer - new iTunes - same iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Len351, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Len351 macrumors newbie

Recently bought a new laptop. I'm not concerned about getting any of the songs onto the new laptop. I have them all on there already and not one was purchased through iTunes. My only concern is getting my apps back on the phone because if I sync it I'm going to wipe my phone and lose everything.

I still have access to the old laptop. Right now I'm trying to sync it to make sure all my apps are on the old one in case I screw it up - which I most likely will. I don't care about email contacts and all that crap. I just want my apps - also not one paid for - all downloaded free apps.

Before anyone says just re-purchase the free apps and you won't be charged - a few have been removed from the app store so I can't do that because they technically don't exist anymore.

I just want the easy way to get my apps from my Windows XP laptop's iTunes to my new Windows 7 laptop's iTunes. Yes, I have authorized the new iTunes with my account so it knows my phone. I just haven't synced it because it says it will erase my phone and replace everything with the new iTunes.

No, I don't want to purchase software to do this iTunes swap. Everyone pays enough for the data plan and all the other AT&T nonsense. This should be free to do.

Yes, I posted on the apple forum and no one could explain it. I even emailed my friend a free app from my Mobile Apps folder so he could try and put it on his iPhone. It wouldn't let him.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal. All my songs are ripped from CD's that I own. My phone isn't jailbreaked or anything like that.

Someone help before I smash this iPhone into a million pieces, delete iTunes and go buy a Droid phone which I know isn't any better.

They need an icon of someone crying but this one will have to do - :mad:

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

go to the itunes folder on your old pc C:\Users\[user]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications

in there is all your apps copy them on to an external HDD, usb key, or even a CD or DVD then go to C:\Users\[user]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications in windows7 and create the Mobile Applications folder and copy the apps in

then in itunes click add folder to library and point it to the apps folder where you have just copied your apps into it.

done

(this will loose your in app saves)

EDIT: just thought XP was a bit different to vista and win7 so the directory might not work, so simply just go into your music folder and their should be an iTunes folder the app folder will be in on of those folders that next appear (most likely media or somthing similar)

3. Len351 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It worked. Took awhile to copy everything to my external HD but I kept all my apps. Got another question - how can I give my friend a free app that is no longer available for download from the app store?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, the EASY way to get your apps to your new computer was just to right click the iPhone in iTunes and select transfer purchases. You got them there another way, but in the future, you know now.

Without allowing him access to your iTunes account, I don't believe he can have your app, even though it is free (unless you restart to "other" methods).