New computer oddly won't connect to WiFi...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mhouwing, Aug 15, 2015.

1. mhouwing macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I recently bought a refurbished mac from apple and just opened it up today. Problem is, it doesn't detect my wifi network. My old macbook (that I'm currently typing on) detects and connects just fine, however my new mac doesn't.

To make the situation even more odd, my new mac can connect to a super weak signal of a public wifi from a place down the street.

Please help! :(

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

What happens if you select other network and manually enter the network name and password, does it connect?

3. mhouwing thread starter macrumors newbie

Did try that and it also didn't work.

BUT - oddly enough, as of this morning, it's now recognizing and connecting to the network!

So bizarre.

Thanks for your help!

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Glad it is working for you again. Maybe the channel that you are using was affected at the time you tried to use the WiFi. A selected WiFi channel can be affected by how many users are using that channel. If you want to see this in action:
    1. Hold down the option-key and click on the WiFi icon in the menubar.
    2. Select "Open Wireless Diagnostics...".
    3. Click Window->Scan from the Wireless Diagnostics menu.
    4. Click Scan Now.
    This will show you all the detectable WiFi networks around you, including your own network(s), and show you what channels are being used. If you find that a lot of people are using the same channel as you, then you might want to pick another channel that is being used far less. This could help your WiFi stability.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then dowload the trial shareware iStumbler and run it. If your wireless network is on the same channel as others around you then go into your router at change the channel. This will help your network.