New computer, or ... some hardcore upgrade procedure?.. hmm

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevey500, Jan 27, 2008.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Okay, SO... I have my 2.16ghz Core2Duo macbook Pro with the X1600 128mb Graphics card...

I've been thinking that I should sell my macbook Pro and get a newer macbook pro, either a 2.2 or 2.4ghz with the 256mb nvidia card...

OR......

My macbook pro is now out of warranty coverage and I had a thought... Maybe for about $300-450 i could get a Macbook pro 2.2/2.4ghz logic board and replace the one in my current machine and then sell my old logic board on ebay for around $200-300 ....

I'm super experienced with working on small computer hardware, i've fixed quite a bit of macbooks with broken LCD's now.

What do you guys think?

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing I can possibly think of being different on the 2.16ghz and 2.2/2.4ghz model of Logic Boards is the output connection to the inverter to the display... Is it still equipped with a plug for it?.. because a lot of the new macbook pro's have the LED lit displays now, correct? Would I have to end up converting my display to LED also?

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though it might be fun to do:cool:. I would suggest just getting the newer Macbook Pro and selling the current one if you really need the modest spec increase. Unlike desktop boards laptops are not nearly as standardized so you could potentially have problems with connectors not being the same or in the same position nor the same power requirements like the LED suggested.

This should really be considered since the new MBP uses all sorts of newer technologies that the older one does not. Northbridge, CPU, GPU etc...

As for saving money there are two things that should be considered.
    1. Is the price difference between selling your current MBP and buying a new MBP with all of the other enhancements, besides the motherboard, that much greater than buying a modern MBP Motherboard and selling your old Motherboard?
    2. When you buy a Motherboard and install it yourself it most likely will not be warrantied. Even if you receive a bad board you will not know it is bad until you install it and try it. If the install was not performed by an authorized tech I doubt a company that sold the motherboard would accept the return, as far as they know it was fine until it was installed by someone whom is not a technician.

The only time I would recommend installing a laptop motherboard would be to replace a broken one that is not covered by a warranty. Otherwise if the fun/cost factor outweighs the risk/other upgrades factor to you then by all means go for it.