New computer OSX 10.5 to 10.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryanturner103, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ryanturner103 macrumors newbie

I have an old Macbook running 10.5 and I am getting a new Mac Mini running the 10.8

I have a lot of photos, videos, music, etc that I want to make sure are going to make it to the new computer.

I have been backing up on an external drive.

Any suggestions / thoughts on doing the transfer as easy and pain free (and keeping all my stuff)?

Thanks.

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Did you try using time machine? Backup the contents of your drive into a time machine, and from your new computer use "Migration Assistant" to restore your files.

3. ryanturner103 thread starter macrumors newbie

No time machine

I don't have an Apple Time Machine, but I back up my computer to an external hard drive on a regular basis. This should be the same thing, I was just worried about moving my stuff from a 10.5 based system to a 10.8 based system.

4. simsaladimbamba

Time Machine works with almost every external HDD, the Time Capsule is the device from Apple to backup to via Time Machine.

Depending on what method you used to backup, you can use Migration Assistant to migrate your data, settings and applications, or you have to do it manually.

5. ryanturner103 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, its early and I've been sick. I did use Time Machine to back up to my drive. So you're saying that's going to make it easier.