new computer. prank pulled. cant use ipod. help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by schoolhouserock, Oct 14, 2010.

1. schoolhouserock macrumors newbie

Ok so i have a major annoyance and problem on my hands. i recently upgraded my fried macbook to a macbook pro. well the macbook wont work anymore and it was past warranty so i decided to just a get a new computer. well i also have an ipod touch that i use quite often. only the other day my room mate had a friend over who thought it was funny to make a password on it. only he was both drunk and hit random buttons so i dont know what it is. i think, easy fix, ill just restore it in dfu mode. i tried everything. even tried downgrading firmware, says it wont allow it. tried downgrading itunes and apparently itunes 10 wont let me. whenever i try to restore it it tells me i have to put in the password that i dont know. and since it is a brand new computer i cant just plug it in. i backed up my music and everything too i just cant synch my ipod or even use it.

please help.

2. brenm666 macrumors regular

http://lifehacker.com/278898/reset-your-lost-os-x-password

3. schoolhouserock thread starter macrumors newbie

this is about the ipod not the computer. i knwo my computer password. the kid reset my ipod touch password and i cant change it on my new computer cause it happened before i got it and after the old one died.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

How about telling the person who messed up your iPod that he owes you a new iPod? And make sure he never comes to your place again.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

DFU mode should work. If it didn't, you might not have properly gotten to DFU mode.
    • Connect your iPodTouch to iTunes
    • Press or Hold the power and home keys 10 seconds.
    • Screen goes black, now release the power button
    • Make sure you do not release the Home key until your iTunes says "We have detected an itouch in recovery mode."
    • After this its simple all you got to do is a simple restore using iTunes

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I agree. He sounds like a douche and you should make him pay, through violent retribution or otherwise

7. schoolhouserock thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've tried the recovery and restore thing before but I'm going to try it EXACTLY like you said to see it that works.

And yeah my other roomates decided if they see the kid they're beating and robbing him for giving me a shiny $250 paperweight.

8. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Mac:

1. Power off the device (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPod touch to turn off.
    2. Press and hold the Home button while reconnecting the USB cable to iPod. When you reconnect the USB to iPod, the device should then power on.
    3. Continue holding the Home button while iPod starts up. While starting up, you will see the Apple logo.
    4. When you see "Connect to iTunes" on the screen, you can release the Home button and iTunes will display the recovery mode message:
    5. Restore and it'll download ~240mb firmware and you're done
    WARNING! This will erase all data on your iPod.

Windows:

1. Plug in your iPod.
    2. Wait for it to load completely.
    3. Open My Computer (or computer if on Vista). Make sure you can view hidden files.
    4. Go to iPod_control.
    5. Go to the folder named Device.
    6. If your iPod is locked, there will be a file _locked . Rename the file to _unlocked.
    7. Safely remove your iPod and it will be cleared.