New Computer?? Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kikobarbada, Aug 8, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hello.

I have created a folder on my desktop called games and put aliases of all my games that I play there. This the list. I wrote beside the ones that lag when I play, even just a little.

Age of Empires III - LAG
    BattleField 1942 - LAG
    Chess (mac)
    Freecell
    Halo - LAG
    MarbleBlast Gold
    Poker
    Tetris
    Tony Hawk Pro 2
    ToySight Gold Demo - LAG

My computer is a 2.16 C2D / 2GB / 160HD / Intel GMA Integrated Graphics. What computer should I buy to avoid all types of little lag on these 4 games that I wrote? I was thinking of getting a 24"in iMac with 2.4 C2D or 2.4C2E and 4GB ram and probably 256mb graphics card, but people say it is too slow. So should I go with a new iMac, MBP, or a mac pro? And what specs?

Thanks, Kiko.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You are not experiencing lag. You are experiencing low frame rates due to using Intel integrated graphics.

For light gaming the iMac with the HD2600 Pro is fine. Otherwise the Mac Pro is your only option.

Additionally are these games in OS X or Windows?

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Yup, that integrated graphics is a death sentence to frame rates. You should be happy with something with a real graphics card... Anything current but the MacBook and the Mini.

Now a few years down the road games are going to be MORE intensive.... But you couldn't seriously justify getting a Mac Pro for $2500 + B.Y.O. Monitor, just for games, could you? ;)

4. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Or the MacBook Pro (has a better vid card than iMac, I think)

5. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

All those games are on OS X. People say that integrated graphics are the same as 64MB, so isn't a 128MB card enough for just light gaming? Plus, how do I know what card I need to use for each game? Where can I see the minimum and recommended specs?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We'll have to know if the iMac is using Mobility parts or not.

7. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

If it is mobility or not, it is probably how much better (percentage) then the MBP graphics?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's the Mobility part the 8600M GT would be better. Not sure about desktop Vs. mobile though.

11. overcast macrumors 6502a

Buy a refurb MacPro. Buy a PC version x1900XT and flash it to the mac. Save yourself like $500. Voila.

12. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

For me the Quad Core 2.0 2gb with an ATI 512MB card would be enough. I think I can get it for 2749 new (don't buy refurbs). Will that serve me? I can pay 300 dollars for an extra 2.66 Quad Core. So, is that nice?

13. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular