New computer... Worried to sync my iPhone to it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHalo, Aug 9, 2010.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I just upgraded my 3 year old MacBook to a MacBook Pro. I stored my iTunes files (apps, movies, television shows, and songs) on an external, so I just copied the files over.

When I sync my iPhone 4, what will happen to it? Will the contacts sync? What about the photos? Will I lose all my texts? I'd just like to not go into this blind.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It makes a backup of your iPhone first so you'll have a backup of your texts, etc. on the new computer.

3. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Well if you backed up your entire iTunes folder.. Usually located in Home Folder>Music>iTunes, then everything should be the way it was before once you copy onto your new machine in the same directory.

4. iHalo thread starter macrumors regular

Even my contacts? Because my new computer doesn't have any contacts in the address book.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Use Migration Assistant to get all your info from your old computer to the new one.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It will after you sync. It’s a fairly painless process. Even if you managed to screw it up, you still have the back up (and I guess even the MB). You’ll be fine. I’ve synced my iPhone to multiple computers and never lost a thing (and I didn’t go so far as to copy the iTunes folder over, just my library after consolidating).

7. iHalo thread starter macrumors regular

Just did the sync, it was indeed painless. Thanks a lot everyone!