New Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IRLS, Dec 15, 2010.

1. IRLS macrumors newbie

I do realize the question I am about to ask has been asked countless of times already, and I have done some reading, however I have heard a lot of different answers.

I plan on picking up a new computer this holiday and the current computer that I am using is a shared one among my family. How would I go about transferring all of my iPhone data to my new computer?

Do I simply connect my iPhone to the new computer, and it will automatically create a back up of my iPhone?
    I have heard that others move the entire iTunes folder from their old computer to their new computer, should I do this as well? Others have said that they did not do this though.

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I would just transfer my entire iTunes folder over. It's an easy solution. I'm not sure how much data you have on there, but it can't take more than an hour or two. Less if you're using FireWire :D

3. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

If I do not transfer the iTunes folder to my new computer, what would happen if I just connect my iPhone? Will it create a new back up?

4. Grinchus macrumors newbie

The new iTunes installed on your new computer will say that your iPhone is synced to another Library or something like that and that if you choose to sync with the new library your data stored on your iPhone will be lost...
    So you should just copy your iTunes folder with your apps, ringtones, podcasts etc on your new computer.
    I did the same... After that you just drag and drop everything on iTunes... and everything will appear in your Library on your new computer...

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

yes, data cannot be ripped from an iPhone unless u use a third party application like Senuti. other than that you have to have the files already in your library. the only time itunes will take files off of your device is after you buy things on the device itself.

6. IRLS, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

Edit:

Okay, let me simplify things. I do not care if I lose my music, videos or photos.

I care about my settings, apps, texts, and contacts. Basically everything that is not related to to media such as music, videos and photos, these of which I can back up to an external HDD by myself.

Will this work;

Download iTunes on new computer.
    Deactive automatic syncing.
    Plug in iPhone.
    Authorize computer.
    Transfer purchases.

Will that ^^^^ work?

OR

Can I just delete a bunch of crap out of my iTunes folder that isn't mine? And then transfer my iTunes folder over?

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

you're just overcomplicating it. just transfer the entire folder over. this just puts it onto your computer. you don't have to put any of the files into your iTunes library if you don't want.

8. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

I tend to do that. Okay, I'll do just that.

9. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one more question, some of the music I have on my iPhone are from CDs I bought, so they are not stored in my iTunes folder. When I connect my iPhone to the new itunes, what will happen to that music?