New convert going to Apple store today...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jasonwilldermoo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jasonwilldermoo macrumors newbie

I am either going to get a MBP 2.66 or a MB 2.4 and a 24" ACD. I am going to be going back to school online so I will be doing lots of word processing. Other than that I will just use it for iTunes, browsing, etc. My main reason for going with the MBP is the higher quality screen. I have three questions. Am I getting to much computer for my needs with the MBP? Will the MBP work better with Snowleopard when it is released or is the MB fine? Will the local Apple store give the education discount? I am so excited about this purchase I can't think straight. I have wanted an Apple for years.:eek::p

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

1) Yes. The MBP is extreme just for word processing, iTunes, and web browsing. The MB will handle those tasks easily.
    2) The MBP might be a better on the graphics side of things. However, keep in mind that Apple builds ONE version of OS X (there's no basic vs. business vs. ultimate). In other words, Snow Leopard will run fine on all modern/recent Macs. Stick with the MB.
    3) Yes, they certainly should. Take your student ID, letter of acceptance, or whatever other document you have that proves your are currently or are about to be a student.

Good luck with your purchase!

3. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Welcome to the community!

I think you'll get more enjoyment and value for your money by purchasing the 2.4 MB and 24" ACD. The MBP is a wonderful machine but for what you plan to do it's overkill and the ACD monitor is a much better screen than the MBP.

4. jasonwilldermoo thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple store is evil! I ended up buying a MBP and a Mini. I couldn't spend that much on a notebook with such a poor screen. I will buy a ACD or similar monitor in the fall when school starts. Now I need to go buy some badass games for it so as not to totally waste its potential. Thanks for the replies!

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

6. relativist macrumors regular

wait, huh? why a MBP and a mini? MBP is faster than a mini... how'd that happen lol...

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...nuf, said...:p