New convert here...with a question about video playback to an iPad.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Robfindlay, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Robfindlay macrumors newbie

So I was/am a Linux guy who used windows only when I had to. We'll for work I needed to learn the Mac OS. So I just went full emersion. I'm never looking back.

Mac OS keyboard shortcuts + flycut and quicksilver has made me faster and more productive than ever before.

So here's my question. I have multi TB of TV shows and movies assuming I convert some to something Mac friendly say mp4 or m4v, most are MKV or avi.

Let's say I get some converted how can I stream them to my iPad? Can I just import them into iTunes and then enable network sharing and stream them? Or do they have to get physically sync'd / copied onto the iPad?

What do you guys do?

-Rob

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You right about converting them to .mp4 then using iTunes to import those videos and then when syncing the iPad to that iTunes the videos will transfer (if you elect the to transfer). IMHO Handbrake will be your best converter.

3. mfram macrumors 65816

One option to stream to the iPad is to run a DLNA server on your Linux box to serve the files and a DLNA client on the iPad. I do this and it works great. You still have to convert to m4v though. I use Handbrake for that.

4. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

Use Handbrake to convert your videos. Import them to iTunes. Then, either sync them to the iPad if you want them away from home, or use Home Sharing if you're on the same wifi network.

5. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

As many have said, Handbrake, to put video files in standards compliant h.264/mp4/m4v format. Its not just Apple compliant, its any ARM based mobile device as this is the format their hardware decoders properly support.

Running PS3MediaSever for DLNA and AcePlayer to stream, can do mkv, but its not optimal.

Ive always avoided mkv. I went straight from avi/divx to standards compliant h.264/mp4.

Mp4/m4v files import directly into iTunes, from there AppleTV cam stream direct. Or I sync onto iPad for travel.

You can also play over network on iPad from iTunes using the built in Video app Shared tab.