New convert - "Roaming Profiles" can it be done?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shaggymatt, Mar 15, 2008.

1. shaggymatt macrumors newbie

In the past two weeks, I've sold off all my Windows based systems, and purchased an iMac and a MBP. My only Windows machine left is a company owned laptop, don't think that they'd be too happy if I sold that. Although we are up for replacements soon, and I am the one spec'ing for the company and I have a bug in the bosses ears about dual booting/vmware. :D

I now have my Airport Express Extreme up and running. My intention is to take my 1TB drive that is attached to the iMac and move it to the router's USB port. Part of this effort is wife driven, to reduce cable clutter, and my sanity with a 9 month old crawling around pulling on everything...

I'd like to have the documents, favorites, etc. all available from the iMac or the MBP. Now that I'm typing this out, another thought came to mind. They'd have to be synchronized, as I'd want a local copy on the MBP for when I'm not on the network. I could do a connection back to the iMac, but this would be too complicated for my wife.

I have no desire to get a .mac account. I think that is a huge ripoff for people that are savy. It is a great service for those that don't know how to create a webpage to share pictures, do their own backups, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions? In searching through old posts, it has been a while since this was posted, and people then were recommending the .mac approach.

2. shaggymatt thread starter macrumors newbie