New Copy of XP or New License?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ladymacbeth, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ladymacbeth macrumors newbie

Finally, I'm getting around to figuring out this Bootcamp thing on my '08 Macbook! After trying Crossover and Parallels I think I'm ready to just run XP natively.

I have 2 copies of XP Professional SP2 that were legally purchased (and have been installed on my two home PC's). A bit of research suggested that I can use one of those disks and just purchase another license from Microsoft for my Macbook. I have no idea how much that would cost, or where I'd get it.

I also have the alternative of purchasing an entirely new copy of XP (I'm not sure what version) from my college for $20. Would buying a new copy this way save me money/time/hassle?

What would you suggest?

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

$20 is an amazing price. That's about the cost of going to a movie and having some popcorn. I'd buy it from your college as you have somebody more immediate to complain to if something goes wrong. If it doesn't work you could probably even get them to refund your money entirely at your college or could get the college technical support staff to help you out with problems.