Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalcolmH

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Extra 3b transistors - extra graphics core (I assume that on the 4 core there are actually 5 and one is disabled ?), extra cache, new video decode logic, the neutral engine is much faster too .. so I assume that was reworked ?

Reactions: iPadified

MalcolmH

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Is the small uplift in performance - estimated 5-10% because they are clocked lower to save battery ? They didn’t announce any speed figures ?

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
What are you basing that off of? I haven’t seen any numbers anywhere?

Apple put out a release saying the new A15 was 40% faster than the A12, which is what they said last year for the A14.

Is the small uplift in performance - estimated 5-10% because they are clocked lower to save battery ? They didn’t announce any speed figures ?

The above is all we’ve really got to go on.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple put out a release saying the new A15 was 40% faster than the A12, which is what they said last year for the A14.

The above is all we’ve really got to go on.

Yeah, a little hard to know what that ends up meaning, since we don’t know how they’re clocking things, etc. I would seriously doubt that A15 has 0% improvement over A14 single core CPU performance.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Apple now deals with multiple SoC configuration not only with iPhone and iPad but also Mac as well. I don't think they will maintain the yearly cadence on new CPU cores every year. Looking like the performance improvement will come from the improved process rather than the architecture this time around.

From the Anandtech article, mentions two possible theories.

Back in early 2019, Apple had lost their lead architect (Gerard Williams III) and a portion of their CPU design team when several of the team went on to found and work at Nuvia, which was acquired earlier this year by Qualcomm. While I’m not certain, the time gap here certainly could match and the new CPU time to market, and be the first signs of that talent loss and team reshuffle. As a note, Apple went on to hire Arm’s lead architect Mike Filippo, likely working on a new CPU family.

Another theory is that Apple decided to focus more on reducing power and energy efficiency this generation, given their massive lead in CPU performance. This actually would be a much more welcome theory, but one that we won’t be able to confirm until we get our hands on devices.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple now deals with multiple SoC configuration not only with iPhone and iPad but also Mac as well. I don't think they will maintain the yearly cadence on new CPU cores every year. Looking like the performance improvement will come from the improved process rather than the architecture this time around.

I doubt that. Any new core design is easily leveraged into each product, due to the SoC methodology. And it’s unlikely that the design team has been sitting around doing nothing other than a process shrink for the last year.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I doubt that. Any new core design is easily leveraged into each product, due to the SoC methodology. And it’s unlikely that the design team has been sitting around doing nothing other than a process shrink for the last year.

Well, if that is the case, I think that is the worse sign since it would indicate they just hit the wall in terms of architecture improvement.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, a little hard to know what that ends up meaning, since we don’t know how they’re clocking things, etc. I would seriously doubt that A15 has 0% improvement over A14 single core CPU performance.
My sense was they chose power over performance. All the performance you used to have, a bit more GPU and neural, brighter displays all around and still 2 extra hours of runtime.

If nobody is using all that CPU yet, makes sense to take a breath and improve efficiency.

edit: yeah, basically what @Kpjoslee found:
Another theory is that Apple decided to focus more on reducing power and energy efficiency this generation, given their massive lead in CPU performance. This actually would be a much more welcome theory, but one that we won’t be able to confirm until we get our hands on devices.

Reactions: souko

MalcolmH

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
My sense was they chose power over performance. All the performance you used to have, a bit more GPU and neural, brighter displays all around and still 2 extra hours of runtime.

If nobody is using all that CPU yet, makes sense to take a breath and improve efficiency.
Yes, I bet the cores are underclocked to save battery, well I hope the cores are underclocked :)

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California

edit: yeah, basically what @Kpjoslee found:

Could be, but would be interesting to find out.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Could be, but would be interesting to find out.
We'll see the benchmarks soon.

A ten percent bump would place it near the M1 in single core performance, ideally with the same power consumption as the A14.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010

Yeah we’ll just have to wait for them to be in the wild. As others mentioned, maybe more improvements to power efficiency rather than performance this time around … Another amusing possibility is that Apple’s marketing team got sloppy and just copied stuff from last year and forgot to change the numbers. ;)

I dunno, we’ll find out soon enough

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Transistor count went way up, too, right? From around 12M to 15M? Wonder where they added.
So, back to Apple Kremlinology, how does this announcement, or more specifically lack of an announcement, compare with the information that you previously had from the sources that "you may or may not" have in regards to the next Mac SoC? I believe you mentioned an approximate 14% gain from the previous generation, all things being equal, but if that is the case, Apple had very little to say about what's new in the A15.

Apple must have used that increased transistor budget for something, but for whatever reason, they haven't yet highlighted those enhancements.

As the Anantech article points out:

The next-best competitor is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 – if we look up our benchmark result set, we can see that the A14 is +41% more performant than the Snapdragon 888 in SPECint2017 – for the A15 to grow that gap to 50% it really would only need to be roughly 6% faster than the A14, which is indeed not a very large upgrade. Apple also didn’t comment on any new ISA features such as Armv9/SVE2, so it seems that the CPU doesn’t feature it?

Also, they had this comment, which may or may not explain some of the changes, or more specifically, lack of changes:

Back in early 2019, Apple had lost their lead architect (Gerard Williams III) and a portion of their CPU design team when several of the team went on to found and work at Nuvia, which was acquired earlier this year by Qualcomm. While I’m not certain, the time gap here certainly could match and the new CPU time to market, and be the first signs of that talent loss and team reshuffle. As a note, Apple went on to hire Arm’s lead architect Mike Filippo, likely working on a new CPU family.

I know you've been skeptical that the engineers that left for Nuvia would have a significant impact on Apple's SoC plans going forward, but the timing is notable, according to the Anandtech article.

Obviously, it's too soon to understand exactly what is going on, but @cmaier has better insights into how this will possibly play out, considering your background. I admit that I'm confused about Apple not emphasizing what's new in regards to the A15 and the reasons behind that. Is it possible that the A15, and future chips derived from that design, are in fact a relatively minor updates to current designs?

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
I always thought the 8+2/10+2 rumors were iffy. As you say @cmaier, it doesn't make sense without a fundamentally different perf/W relationship between the "P" and "E" cores, and Apple has a history of designing new cores by making incremental improvements to the last generation.

On perf/W - according to powermetrics, the M1 4-core E cluster uses about 2.5W at max freq / 100% load and the 4-core P cluster about 25W. 1/10th the power is really important. Even though the E cluster offers ~1/3 the performance of the P cluster, that translates to ~3.3x perf/W. As for area, the E cluster needs ~1/4 the die area of the P cluster, or roughly ~1.3x perf/mm^2.

Giving up two E cores to get about half a P core just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff. Why starve low-priority background tasks of the best resource to run them on? And when you want to do a lot of computation with many parallel threads, E cores are arguably better.

You need a balance, because Amdahl's Law is real, but 8+2 doesn't seem like a great balance.

• Angry
Reactions: Gudi

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
As the Anantech article points out:
"for the A15 to grow that gap to 50% it really would only need to be roughly 6% faster than the A14"

Not sure if these numbers came to pass, but from EE Times Asia in 2019:

"The N5P [...] could squeeze anther [sic] 7% in speed or 15% in power from N5 using the same design rules. The gains come in part from enhancements to a fully strained high-mobility channel."

Makes it sound like that 6% was essentially what they'd get for free.

Last edited:

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Obviously, it's too soon to understand exactly what is going on, but @cmaier has better insights into how this will possibly play out, considering your background. I admit that I'm confused about Apple not emphasizing what's new in regards to the A15 and the reasons behind that. Is it possible that the A15, and future chips derived from that design, are in fact a relatively minor updates to current designs?
It's not only possible, it's likely. But not for the reasons you're speculating about.

Apple has a lot of revenue riding on shipping a new iPhone family every fall in high volume. This means Apple's silicon engineering group pays a lot of attention to the risk of schedule slips. One of the best ways to de-risk new chip designs where the spec is mostly "same as last year's chip, but better" is to not keep re-inventing the wheel. Anywhere you can build on last year's design without sweeping changes, you do that.

There's no reason why this would be any different after Gerard Williams' departure.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
A15 has the same core configuration (2+4) as A14, which suggests to me that they are of similar relative complexity as Firestorm vs. IceStorm, and the new high performance cores aren’t hardware-multithreaded. Which suggests to me that rumors of 8+2 or 10+2 for M1X/m2 are likely not right. Rumors only made sense if the cores were radically different in relative performance - either the low power cores can handle more pipelines or the high power cores can multi thread to compensate for blocking low priority threads. Based on all that, I doubt the 8+2/10+2 rumors. Also means that the new MBPs coming next month may indeed have M1X instead of M2(x).
Were you not saying that the new core should be 14% faster than firestorm?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I believe the lack of CPU speed improvements can be explained by A15 focusing on battery life instead of absolute performance. They already outperform anyone else, it makes sense to slightly lower the clocks/use less aggressive power curve.

As to Jade Die, I still expect it to be based on a different infrastructure variant. A15 is a low-power product. Jade Die will be a scalable performance product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.