New Corsair ram beeping on late 2008 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcnamaragio, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mcnamaragio macrumors newbie

Hello,

I purchased Corsair ram (2x4GB) CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 from Amazon.com. According to the description it "Works with any Mac computer that supports 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs". My macbook supports 6GB officially (8GB with the firmware that I am running). However when I inserted it I only get three beeps. I tried inserting only one stick in both of the slots but that didn't help. I also tried it with both sticks but that does not work either.

When I plugged in my old ram it worked perfectly. I also tried 8GB ram from Crucial with the same specs (CT2CP51264BC1067) and it also worked as expected.

I tried it with my HP laptop (dv6) but I got blue-screen when booting (IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL‎). The same crucial ram works fine there so it is definitely Corsair fault.

Has any of you experienced a similar issue? Is there anything I can do? I already tried PRAM reset.

Thank you in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have experienced a similar issue with Corsair ram on my 2008 MP. The ram was either bad or not compatible. I went to Crucial and it worked fine. Corsair is compatible with Macs, but for some reason whatever I bought that said it would be okay was not. Return it.

3. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

If you used 8 Gb from crucial and it worked then why use corsair??

If you get 3 beeps the RAM won't work.
    And you are by no means the first one with RAM from Corsair which does not work.

4. z4x0n macrumors newbie

A unibody aluminum late 2008? Or a whitey? If it's a whitey then the memory should be pc2 5300 667mhz, ddr2, aluminum unibody supports 1066MHz ddr3

5. mcnamaragio thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot return it because I'm not in the US anymore. Crucial works well but now I have to purchase another
    set for my HP laptop. I do not know what to do with the Corsair ram that I already have.

It's unibody aluminum late 2008.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can sell it on eBay or something and offer a return if it doesn't actually work.

7. Rommy777 macrumors newbie

It works with corsair for mac 1066 pc8500 2x4gb . I just installed today. No 3 beeps. Works perfect.

This thread make me worry to not buy this brand. But then the technician in the shop tells me that he guarantee it will work. Then he install the ram for me. And it is great.

Just make sure you're running the correct firmware. Otherwise it will not work for any brand of RAM.

Hope helps other who have mb late 2008.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If the RAM is 1600MHz then there is your problem.
    1333MHz should work but may not always work.
    The correct speed of RAM is 1066MHz for your machine.

But it looks like CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 is 1066MHz so I don't know why it won't work. Sometimes they just don't.