New corsair ram=Kernal Panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schpongo, Oct 9, 2011.

1. schpongo macrumors member

Hey I bought 8 gb of corsair Laptop Memory for my 13'' 2011 MBP.
    I installed it and it worked great for a day,
    then i got a kernel panic and i thought strange lets hope its not the ram
    and 20 min later i got one again and now i also get a panic upon start.
    I suspect it is a problem generated by the new ram what are your thought on this

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

3. milliepuppy macrumors member

... put the old RAM back in to be sure ... just make sure everything else is set up the same .. i.e. same peripherals plugged in etc. ..

.. thats if the PRAM reset doesn't work ... :)

4. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

I put in the old ram and it seems to work. My MBP started i can not tell for sure that its stable because the first kernel panic came after a day. i tried the memtest with the 8gb of ram, by booting into single user mode but booting into single user mode was not possible because the kernel panic came after approximately 3 sec.
    I have the same ram once more because i also bought one for my friend i tested that with the memtest and it worked fine.
    The only question i have left is why did it take a day for the ram to fail
    Before the first panic came i was trying to max out my 8gb of ram ( did not work :D ) and my theory is that there is a bad chip (or part of it) or something which did not get used up to that point.
    Can anyone confirm that?
    Thx for the great answers.

5. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

I just put in the bad set of ram and started i wanted to do the pram rest (was too slow) and there was no kernel panic. Then i did the pram reset.
    Now im going to do the ram test on the machine in single user mode.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Any time I've gotten sudden kernel panics was because of bad ram. It happened on my 2010 mbp, and my 2011 too. In both cases I just returned the bad ram, and ordered different ram and all was well.

On my 2010, I bought OWC NuRam, it was bad. Sent it back and bought Crucial from Newegg and all was well.

On my 2011 I bought Crucial from Newegg, and it was bad. Sent it back and got G.Skill from Newegg. And everything was fine for that.

Just send it back and get some other ram. You should NOT be having any kernel panics. And about a day after installing new RAM, sounds about right to me. That's how I experienced it too. I even ran RAM tests with Rember and the Apple memory test, and the bad ram passed. So you can't even trust that all the time.

7. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

I finished the memtest and indeed some errors accrued. I will send the bad ram back.
    Thx for all the help.