Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeratul75

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Hi guys
just updated MS Office for Mac 2019 and icons are changed (attach a pics).Basically the new ones have an awful "white frame".
Did this happen to you as well?
Any solutions....obviously I don't want to keep old software just for its icons.....but the new one are really awful.....
Here the old ones and then the new ones.....

Schermata 2021-05-12 alle 19.39.53.png

Schermata 2021-05-12 alle 19.28.44.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Basically the new ones have an awful "white frame".
<shrug> You don't have to upgrade to Big Sur, but you're stuck with parts of its UI disaster anyway since application vendors aren't going to support multiple icon looks.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Looks great in Big Sur, fits right in with all the other icons. In fact, at this point applications that have not yet updated their icons stick out like ugly ducklings.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 8.03.40 AM.png

Reactions: Tagbert

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Hi guys
just updated MS Office for Mac 2019 and icons are changed (attach a pics).Basically the new ones have an awful "white frame".
Any solutions....obviously I don't want to keep old software just for its icons.....but the new one are really awful.....

View attachment 1773766

View attachment 1773770
Haha I too saw the updates yesterday. I’m always in dark mode and prefer dark icons. Not a fan. Lol

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Looks great in Big Sur, fits right in with all the other icons. In fact, at this point applications that have not yet updated their icons stick out like ugly ducklings.

View attachment 1774085
It's another year before I'd be considering installing Big Sur in any case, so meanwhile it just looks like cr*p.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
@zeratul75 - We're in the same boat, I hate the little meaningless boxes paradigm taking over icons. Some devs manage to handle it with creativity but Microsoft really took the most boring approach.

Incase you don't know, on macOS it's easily possible to replace the icon of any app by opening the info window of that app in Finder. Then simply click on the icon in the left top corner and paste in any icon you downloaded from the internet (or copy it from an old version of that app from a backup).

It's your Mac, you probably spend hours using it everyday, so really make it yours and make it enjoyable to use it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
The most annoying thing is, there was a better option available to Microsoft…

They could have used the approach Apple took with their Big Sur icons for apps such as Photo Booth, Preview, GarageBand, Dictionary, TextEdit, Chess, Image Capture, Automator et al. – where there are elements protruding outside the main 'box' of the icon.

A small tweak, perhaps, to where the 'W', 'X', 'P', 'O' or 'N' part appeared (along with altering from oblong to square for the theme-coloured main part) could have worked nicely… and no need for white.

(I'm not sure what they could do with Edge though, as the blue & green curl is the brand for that app.)

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Incase you don't know, on macOS it's easily possible to replace the icon of any app by opening the info window of that app in Finder.
Of course, and has been since System 7, but I have far more constructive ways to waste my time. Thanks, though.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
Hi guys

View attachment 1773766

View attachment 1773770
man, you got way too much time on your hands fretting over the icons on an office productivity suite.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi guys

View attachment 1773766

View attachment 1773770
Fortunately, on macOS, you can change an app's icon (at least you easily could pre-Big Sur; haven't tried it on Big Sur, but still works AFAIK).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.