New Customer, Preordering 2 iPhone 4s on family plan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McBeats, Jun 8, 2010.

1. McBeats macrumors 6502a

Hello all! Hope your WWDC was good!

On June 15th, will it be no problem to set up a 2-person Family Plan with 2 iPhones for preorder through Apple? ATT?

I am going to be a new customer to ATT Wireless (although I have ATT as a land line service for almost 4 yrs now, could that come into play at all?).

Since most people prefer going through Apple, Will it be easy (or even possible) to set up an ATT Wireless account through Apple upon pre-order?

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

2. McBeats thread starter macrumors 6502a

bump
    (Can new customers preorder 2 phones for a family plan? I heard mixed things.)

3. edwurtle macrumors member

edwurtle

I'm in the same boat.. I'm switching from verizon to ATT. I'm planning to have 2 iPhones and the family plan. I was hoping I could pre-order both. In addition to your questions, I'm also questioning how do I transition my verizon numbers to my new iPhones.

4. dread macrumors 6502a

Im pretty sure you set up the plan once you get the phone using iTunes. Welcome to the iPhone party. Out of curiosity why switch now.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Let's cover the easy question first: Porting from another carrier

You can start the process when you pre-order. Just provide your phone number, account number and any passcode that is required (PIN). You will be prompted for all required items during the pre-order process.

The actual porting process will not start until you activate the iPhone 4, if you are using iTunes, you will see the steps. First you will be able to make new calls as soon as your activation completes, incoming calls may still be routed to your other phone until AT&T completes the port with your other carrier. In some cases, last year it took upto 24 hrs to complete due to the volume.

Note: I would suggest you consider getting a new number from AT&T and then you have 30 days to port your number from your other carrier at no charge from AT&T. It will allow you to make sure that you terminate you account correctly and are not hit with and unexpected EFT fees.

Now the trick question: Ordering multiple iPhone 4 via pre-order. While we don't know the official policy from Apple just yet, last year and today with the iPhone 3GS on the Apple online store, if you want more than one phone, you will see this message:

How do I buy multiple iPhones?

Pick up your first iPhone at an Apple Retail Store and an Apple Retail associate can help you purchase additional iPhones.

source: https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObje...o/bMA4iVRpZBPWG81G8RoC2g/0.0.0.1.26.3.9.5.2.1

AT&T has published it's rules of one pre-order per new customer.

How many devices can I preorder?

AT&T stores will sell one iPhone 4 per person for new customers, and one device per household for new orders placed online. Existing customers may purchase one per eligible telephone number online or through our stores.

source: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Dave

6. brewser macrumors regular

I am in the same boat. My family has 3 iphones now and we are all eligible for upgrades. So how will I be able to pre-order 3 phones from Apple? I wonder if you enter the phone numbers for the 3 phones or enter the family members names when ordering? I wish they could give more detail to this. I want to order from Apple because they will generally guarantee shipment to be received on the launch day and I don't know what At&t will do.