new data plans: how to prevent overage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tuna, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

So I just logged into my AT&T family plan account and was pleasantly surprised to find the new data options available. I had already informed my parents that we would be able to reduce my sister's iPhone data plan to $15/month (she's never used more than 60MB/month) and mine to $25/month (I've never used more than 350MB/month). They were very happy about it. They were rewarding me with my mom's upgrade eligibility to use on the iPhone 4G, between this and also me figuring out a way to save them another $15/month on other aspects of our phone plan. It should have been an "easy do".

At the last minute I opened up a chat with an AT&T rep to ask about setting a lock on data overage for our lines. I figured that this would be trivial. That there was some setting in my account or that I could just call AT&T's 800 number to have it set up. No such luck. In fact, the only way to set an overage limit is by paying $4.99/month/line for "Smart Limits for Wireless Parental Controls". Bull-****ing-****.

I was all for switching from unlimited to 2GB seeing as its so much more than I need to use, but now they want me to have to pay $25+$5 just to prevent myself from making it $25+$10? That's retarded. It even makes the decision to switch my 60MB/month sister to DataPlus questionable: if one month she discovers pandora and streams a lot of music, overage is $15/200MB.

I am pretty incensed right now. When the AT&T rep confirmed that "Smart Limits" was the only way to do it, I even said to him, "what if I talked to the right person and alerted him to the fact that if he didn't let me put a data lock on my lines, I would keep my unlimited plans, I would jailbreak my iPhones, and I would run torrents on their network all day every day so that whatever cell I was connected to would become useless"

2. skyehill macrumors 6502

ATT will text you three times as you get closer and closer to hitting the 2g limit. No extra charge for that.

3. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Your contract would be terminated.....

4. skyehill macrumors 6502

That's a good way to get out of a contract then.

5. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting...

6. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is good and all but I didn't really want to have to think about it. Everyone has enough things on their plate, nobody wants to have to keep their ****ing phone's data usage on the back of their mind to prevent themselves from racking up overage fees. The warnings plus a simple block on data would be perfect.

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Heh, sounds like you'd be better off keeping unlimited for yourself or just dealing with paying attention to your limits.

Cause you'll pay the same if you have them cut you off when it gets to 2 gigs as if you kept unlimited (and then you wouldn't get cut off but could use what you want).

And yeah, it's ridiculous you have to pay, especially 5 dollars, just to have them stop the data for you. But, not really surprised honestly. It's really not in their best interest to make sure you don't go over (kinda like credit card companies really aren't that upset if you go over the limit cause then they can get extra money from overage fees).

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You said you never go above 350MB of data. Don't freak out, you'll be fine. Be glad you can save $5 a month.

9. skyehill macrumors 6502

He never goes above that now. Don't you think ATT set up these plans for a reason? Like they know something is coming that's going to entice people to use even more bandwidth?

The OP could always do what I did and get an EVO. You pay less and get far more. Plus you'll own a phone that Apple doesn't dictate everything to you.

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

set up wifi profiles.
    ATT has fre wifi hotspots all over the US. If you have comcast/time warner/cablevision they also have free wifi for customers.
    ask your work to allow you to connect your iphone to the work wifi.
    use wifi at home.
    get one of the free wifi finder apps to find free hotspots

i'm at 1GB a month on average and it's very hard to get there. for months i was in the 500MB range.

pandora/slacker is around 100MB per day on high quality. slacker just came out with version 2 and you can cache stations so the music is downloaded to your iphone/ipod. do it over wifi and you save data