New Default Folder Icons in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by michaelrjohnson, Jun 12, 2007.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Like many others, I have long loathed the appearance of OS X with all it's ugly stripey-ness. Consequently, I have been "fixing" the UI for several years now with a delightful combination of UNO and Agua.

Apple has addressed both of these issues in Leopard, and I am very happy that I will no longer need to use these system-replacements. Apple has done away with all the stripes in the UI as well as the icons, and I believe they have created a new, very Agua-like (which is very OS 9-like) default folder icon for Leopard.

The new folders seem to be much more "solid" than current folders, like the Agua icon set. Additionally, they appear to have a gray line-drawing "stamped" into them, rather than an all-out super-imposed icon. (Like the Applications folder) All-in-all, I feel it creates a much more consistent, unified presentation of the folder icons.

Check out the screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Screenshots taken from Leopard videos on Apple's website)

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I noticed this just before you posted, and I'm not sure whether I am happy with the change or not, but seeing as everything else has changed, it's getting to be like, "well, why not".

I'll accept it as is though when it ships and eventually get used to it all.

3. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

I function pretty similarly... some of the new stuff gets a while getting used to, but in the end, it is the way it is... except for a few modifications.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Cheesey Home folder icon's still there though :(

5. pengu macrumors 6502a

do you mean the Movies/Music/Documents etc icons? how are they cheesy?

it'd be good to see one of these icons @ 64x64 or 128x128 to get an idea of how they really look. also, any thoughts on the difference between itunes & 10.5 "unified window style" scroll bars? its like they got everything and forgot the scroll bars (whichever way the inheritance went)

6. yagran macrumors 6502a

lol yup. you gotta love it tho!

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Here's a nice big pict of the standard folder. Much improved over the standard Aqua fair, but I'm still partial to the Agua set mentioned by the OP.

Picture 1.png

I'm hoping for the new transparent scroll bar look on some of the Apple.com pages...much improved over both the Aqua and iTunes 7 scroll bars.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Didn't notice this, really glad they've added it.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

The Home Folder labelled 'Apple' in the screen grabs. I just think it looks a little tacky... only my humble opinion ;)

10. pengu macrumors 6502a

oh that one.. yeah it does stick out like dogs bollocks (especially compared to the all powerful smooth greys in 10.5) in comparison to the other "icon on a folder" icons.. but it is also a "special" place in the environment and needs to be clearly identified as so..

now i wonder if iTunes/etc will have updated icons.

checked the Mail vid for 10.5 and the sidebar "folder" icons are still the little light blue ones. but itunes already uses "different" folder icons (not quite aqua, not quite 10.5) and i think maybe mail matches that now?

either way. im glad they're going back to a single unified window appearance.

11. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I prefer the current ones, actually. The iTunes 7 ones aren't as striking, though.
    The new folder icon is quite nice, too.

12. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Which scroll bars are you referencing? I can't find a screenshot with scroll bars that don't look like the standard Aqua ones.

13. pengu macrumors 6502a

thats not actually new. do a search in a finder window in 10.4, then click on one of the files it finds. same thing, but with Aqua folder icons.

14. yagran macrumors 6502a

i dont think this is search i think this is in built to finder.

P.s 500th POST BRING ON THE AVATAR WOOT WOOT

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Actually...I just reinspected the video and screenshots...it does seem to only be present when a search is active. :(

16. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

That's a major disappointment. I have wanted a good, built-in way to see the file path for a long time. I know it's been present in searches, but I was excited about the prospect of a Finder-wide file path "bar."

17. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Perhaps this is analyzing too much, if there is such a thing. ;)

I just noted the following screenshot from Apple's webpage, and I noticed hardware icons. IIRC, Apple has used a standardized icon in the past to represent all computers, and to me this screenshot seems to imply that Leopard "detects" the model (and color) of the computer when choosing it's icon.

Attached Files:

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm floored and totally happy with the UI changes to the finder and apps. much, much, much better than the mess that was/is Tiger. and death to brushed metal, always seemed a bit too heavy and distracting.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Bummer, hope it gets added.