new defective phone replaced by refurb. is that right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Apr 16, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey

i bought an iphone in february, and brought it in to an apple store (along with my funky mbp) and casually mentioned some 'fuzzy' and quiet call problems while he was checking out my lappy. he looked up the serial number and told me it was part of a 'defective series' and exchanged it for me on the spot. i was browsing these forums and noticed that refurb phones have a serial number starting with '5k' so i checked my new phone... sure enough, it's a refurb. should i return it for a new one, since i paid for a new one? or is this something they usually do?

thanks.

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm not sure what the policy is, but when I had to have mine replaced in the store, I received a new one. I would take it back, there is no reason to give a refurbished one if it's a replacement.

3. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

there actually is. in apple's terms of service when using their products. you accept that your product can be replaced with either a refurb or a new. nothing you can do.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

What's wrong with a refurb? They're usually like new. If there were any marks on it, it's probably nothing more than what your phone was before they replaced it.

5. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just called and confirmed what they said.

why is it a problem? it isn't. i was just curious. i plan to sell this one when the 3g model is released, so i don't want it to be worth less because i paid for a new phone but am selling a used refurb. it's fine.

thanks guys.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Because if I paid $500 for an iPhone and it's defective, then I would prefer it's replaced with a new phone, not a refurbished one.

8. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

call the store where you got your exchange and ask to speak to the Duty Manager. Just tell the manager that you had your phone for XX number of days and when you return for an exchange, you expect to get a new phone.

I have done this in the past and they gave me the new phone. The main reason why I requested a new phone is so that the box's serial number matches the iPhone's serial number when I sell the phone.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If it is less then 14 days old you can return it and get another new one.

10. gowanis macrumors 6502

i went thru 5 defective iPod Touches before getting a good one. The replacements were all refurbs until the last one where i created a loud stink at the store and demanded a new retail box. They gave it to me and it has been fine ever since.

Fortunately my iPhone has been working great since day one!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Also, to check if you have a refurb, the serial number will begin with 5K8. They give the refurbs a new serial number so they know if you have a refurb.

They are given brand new cases and screens so they appear brand new.