New Dell 2311h - DisplayPort problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vice92, May 22, 2011.

1. Vice92 macrumors regular

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Dell 2311h, along with a mini display port to display port cable from monoprice.

For some reason however, I cannot get any picture with the new cable - the monitor says there is no signal coming from my computer.

I can get a signal when I hook it up over DVI however (mini display port to dvi adapater --> DVI cable to monitor).

Any ideas?

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Go into the monitor settings (buttons on the bottom right of the Dell) and choose either Auto or Displayport. One of those selections will hopefully work.

3. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that and unfortunately still no picture.

This may sound dumb but I don't need a mini displayport to displayport adapater do I? I can just use the cable?

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I am currently using a cable and don't have any problems so no need for an adapter.

You try going into system preferences under Displays and selecting Dell U2311H?

5. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really sure what you mean - I can't get a picture when I use the display port cable, so I can't really choose a monitor per say.

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

You can't get a picture even on your Macbook?

7. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I can get a picture on my mbp, but when I hit "Displays" in system preferences, it just shows up on my mbp, still a blank screen on my Dell. I'm starting to think its the cable?

8. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Any resolutions to this? I'm having the same issues but with a cable I bought on Amazon. I also ordered a cable on Monoprice which is on its way.

9. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I've also found a DVI - HDMI adapter I can try tonight. I was pretty excited about a MDP->DVI cable though. Nice and clean.

Here's a pic of my display with the bad cable.

Bad Cable?