Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I was waiting for this. The 2 in 1 version does not have windows hello and this one does, so that is a plus. Also the 2 in 1 was not needed for me. The taller screen and brightness is also a plus. The SSD is also upgradable unlike it’s older brother. The keyboard will be the same as the current offering which to Some will be better than the new 2 in 1 keyboard. I was thinking of a gaming machine like the razor blade 15 inch, but it only had about 300 nits compared to this 500. Gaming now will be done on my Xbox. This is a welcome addition and I look forward to the reviews.

ssd upgradable.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i just got the blade stealth 13! well this one doesnt have a 1650 gpu though
I think the razer is the only maker using a Dgpu in their 13" machine.

It has the more powerful Iris Plus GPU included
For the majority of users of a 13" the igpu more then up to the task.

Normally if I were to choose between razer and Dell, I'd put for razer but this is a nice looking machine

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Normally if I were to choose between razer and Dell, I'd put for razer but this is a nice looking machine
I will probably still lean toward an RTX laptop so I can run a wacom, the software and possibly, video conversion.

My problem is waiting...

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Apparently AMD is focusing on mobile chips now, and first ones should be shown on CES.
If they can create chips that would compete with intel, I’m gonna purchase one of their chips together with their GPU.
Hopefully Dell will have AMD in mind as well....

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The 13.5" Microsoft Surface Book 2 can be had with a dGPU (nVidia GTX 1050). Not anywhere as close to as thin/light as the XPS 13, but a 13" laptop with the dGPU nonetheless.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The only brands I trust for laptops are the Thinkpad line formerly from IBM, now Lenovo, and Apple now that they resolved the hurdle preventing me from enjoying Mac computers again: the horrifying butterfly switch keyboard. I hear Dell XPS are great, but given how they've butchered Alienware since it's acquisition by Dell? I'm disinclined to trust anything from Dell. I just read so many horror stories about failure rate of their XPS line. I'm bedridden most of the time so being without my laptop because I had to ship it to Dell for service would not be fun for me. As it stands, the only reason I have a 16" MBP is because I have multiple Thinkpads to fall back on, and we all know how immortal those are.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Thanks for the update. Guess one has to wait a little bit to see a little price reduction. Right now $2400 is kind of steep which includes taxes and warranty.

looking on the site posted, it’s only for the black version of the keyboard not the white one at this time.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the update. Guess one has to wait a little bit to see a little price reduction. Right now $2400 is kind of steep which includes taxes and warranty.

looking on the site posted, it’s only for the black version of the keyboard not the white one at this time.
Dells pretty regular with the discounts, so yeah if you can wait, then your patience will be rewarded

Reactions: Never mind

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If i didn't just buy a new laptop I would be interested in an XPS. Dell always made the best Windows laptops, IMO. I have some from 15 years ago that are still running solid, but not useful for much now.

Reactions: elite953

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Seems a fully loaded unit (i7, 16gb, 1tb, 4K) can be had for just over £1500 with discount code. Looks like I will be jumping on one of these.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

A lot of 13" class machines now have low end dedicated graphics. Mostly MX 250 and Radeon solutions, but a handful are using GTX 1650 including the Razer, Surface book 13 (well, that's still on the 1050 but it's just outdated), and one of the Zen books from Asus. If Tiger lake actually brings the sort of iGPU performance Intel promised (and failed to deliver on) for Ice lake, it will probably make these sorts of chips redundant again though.

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Just configured and preordered my unit:

New XPS 13 (9300)

10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Iris Plus Graphics

13.4" UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflecitve 500-Nit Display

16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

£1667

Hope I’ve made the right decision!

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Just configured and preordered my unit:

New XPS 13 (9300)

10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Iris Plus Graphics

13.4" UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflecitve 500-Nit Display

16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

£1667

Hope I’ve made the right decision!

Hope it works well for you. Try to post an update about what you like/dislike after you play with it a while. I'd be especially interested in battery/heat with everyday use.

Reactions: ap123ap

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Hope it works well for you. Try to post an update about what you like/dislike after you play with it a while. I'd be especially interested in battery/heat with everyday use.

Will do although the estimated delivery is March!

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Will do although the estimated delivery is March!
Wow, I bet if you waited couple of months you would save at least 30% and will not be that far behind on delivery date. How long did it take razer to discount the Stealth with Ice Lake, two months?

Just one funny story about long wait for Dell order - I pre-ordered the first XPS15 in the new chassis, in 2015, early October. In December I called them (because I saw on forums people were getting their orders already) and after couple hours on hold was told that I will have to wait at least one more month. Told them to cancel right then. A soon as I hung up I got email from FedEx that a package is coming to me, from Dell. Because the order was cancelled they never charged my card.

Didn't want to be a complete d-bag about it, they screwed up so I wasn't going to waste another day on hold trying to call them, I did send an email to customer support, knowing exactly that if you're not a business account or don't have premium support it goes straight to /dev/null, and also contacted them on facebook where I engaged in entertaining conversation lasting weeks where every day a new person would ask me the same questions and I would copy/paste my responses from yesterday. Finally, after three weeks one of them broke the cycle saying I should contact customer support. Great, I've done it already.

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Wow, I bet if you waited couple of months you would save at least 30% and will not be that far behind on delivery date. How long did it take razer to discount the Stealth with Ice Lake, two months?

Just one funny story about long wait for Dell order - I pre-ordered the first XPS15 in the new chassis, in 2015, early October. In December I called them (because I saw on forums people were getting their orders already) and after couple hours on hold was told that I will have to wait at least one more month. Told them to cancel right then. A soon as I hung up I got email from FedEx that a package is coming to me, from Dell. Because the order was cancelled they never charged my card.

Didn't want to be a complete d-bag about it, they screwed up so I wasn't going to waste another day on hold trying to call them, I did send an email to customer support, knowing exactly that if you're not a business account or don't have premium support it goes straight to /dev/null, and also contacted them on facebook where I engaged in entertaining conversation lasting weeks where every day a new person would ask me the same questions and I would copy/paste my responses from yesterday. Finally, after three weeks one of them broke the cycle saying I should contact customer support. Great, I've done it already.

It is a long time to wait! It’s all good though. If it comes up cheaper between now and March, I will either cancel the order or return it once it arrives!

I did save a bit though with a discount code, the list price on this setup was just shy of £2k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.