New Design! Comments, Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Techguy172, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

2. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

So far so good. It looks like it still needs a fair bit of work though.
    Lots of elements need tidying up. I think you need to go through everything and tighten it all up.. sorry if it sounds negative but from the tabbed navigation – which isn't very nice at all (no space/size of drop down/text positioning) to the line space in the paragraphs needs balancing better.

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I like the colours and the direction it's going, but it looks atm like a WIP. If I sa the site as it is now I would think it was seriously under construction.

^^ What he said; Also, the site needs a stronger identity. In place of the navigation on the top left, put the logo. Those three links can be moved to the right and brightened up a bit.

There seems to be a foat prob with "test post 123" and the one below it.

The first paragraph you have should be a short, one-sentence descriptor about the site and it's purpose, not the validation status of the site (which can be moved to the footer).

Overall it's headed in the right direction, but just needs a bit more work.

4. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I put the First Paragraph there because this is a template that will up for sale eventually. Otherwise it wouldn't be put there. I don't think thats a float problem it's just I never put a title on it so it doesn't position correctly.

I'll continue to work on it. Thanks for the advice though keep it coming!

5. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Made a few Changes Here and there to the Front page. Any Improvement??

Please don't hold back any advice is great just make sure to explain yourself.

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Like the others said, overall I like how it's going.

First sentence would read better as:

However, it fails to validate XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Also, the twitter info at top right could use some padding, and I would drop the font size of the navigation tabs a little to even the spacing within the tabs slightly.

7. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Competing attention

Some thoughts:

1. Between the top "Hi this is my tech blog theme" text, the scrolling images, and your actual posts, I am overwhelmed with what to look at first. It seems that the page is too busy. Could you reduce the "hi this is my text blog theme" text to make it less prominent? That seems more like an "about this website" kind of message.

2. The Home | About | Contact is a bit unimportant but takes up a lot of real estate at the top of the screen. A lot of that functionality is then replicated with your centered navigation Home | Computers | Uncategorized. Consider putting Home | About | Contact at the bottom (footer) and shifting the whole rest of the navigation higher.

8. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, I reduced the size of the introduction text, It's valid again also. I adjusted the Navigation text in the Drop down, looks better I think!

The Center Navigation is only for the categories, that's why I have the other navigation on the top. The Center Navigation is Dynamic and pulls any categories down and places them there.

I will work on the twitter later so ignore that now.

9. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

10. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Now it's Valid, Kinda figured that would screw it up. I like the Navigation with that font size.

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Looking good! Good change to the twitter box. RSS feed is broken, but I'm guessing you know that :)

12. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I was messing around with my sidebars and broke that. I'll fix it soon enough!

So what does everyone else think? Looking good?

13. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Made some more Final Adjustments, Is it better? Worse?