New design, hate Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mrzeve, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.

Take a look at my new site design

http://www.staylazy.net/new/index.php

Trying to start using divs (except for inside where you can see there is a table) and its looking great, in browsers like Firefox and Safari.

But that cursed Internet Explorer is giving me a lot of problems.

Anyone care to take alook at the code and tell me what would cause the difference?

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Your code is incomplete. There's no </body></html>. It just ends with a div element. Run a validator on the page after adding a DOCTYPE and it'll show you various things that are wrong with your code.

4. Photomax macrumors regular

Also...

* Read up on the IE6 bugs. Most of them are well documented. The double margin float bug is the most puzzling but it easy to work around.

* Watch out for user text size increases. Just going up one size explodes your navigation. Why do have red for a background color for the nav? You also don't need to have the graphic uses a background image for the navigation bar and the links.

* Don't mix upper and lower case for elements. Your "body" has both.

* You have a one solid graphic chunk for the content area: the "blackcontent." What happens if you want very little content or long content? Long content will drop below that graphic. Using a large content graphic is also a bandwidth hog. A better solution would be to use a narrow sliver of a graphic and tile it along the x or y axis with CSS. This way the graphic will expand or contract with the amount of content.