new design idea :), Thoughts wanted

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chostwales, Mar 20, 2009.

1. chostwales macrumors member

Hey guys, im currently in the process or restructuring my business model and redesigning the site.

My current site is http://chostwales.com

The new site i am working on is at http://chostwales.co.uk/2009design/

What are your thoughts on the new design? Its just a png image at the moment and nothing actually works, but what do you think?

Best,
    Nathaniel

2. Momofthree macrumors member

to me it looks good, and less cluttered then the other. When I go to a website I want to be able to find the link to what I am looking for ... and have it clearly labeled and not have to go through 3 links to get to it.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Looks good, although the logo at the top is distracting with the reflection. There's really no reason to have the reflection... ;)

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I concur on the reflection effect. Just use shadowing and keep it subtle.

Speaking of subtle, the use of that red color is anything but subtle. This is acceptable (somewhat) for sites that sell discount items via an e-Commerce store. Consumers are used to seeing bold, bright colors in that specific context. When used out of context, it might make the consumer feel your services are "cheap" and bottom basement service as well as pricing. The industrialized and over-commercialized "red" is something quite dangerous. I don't think your site's subject matter fits with that mold, and do not confuse this with saying I don't like bright red.

I suggest a cool blue instead of the red - I think you'll find it has plenty of contrast with the rest of the palette you're using, keeps a cool (as opposed to warm) theme, and you'll still draw the eye to the site without coming across as "cheap" (i.e. not the same as inexpensive).

Hope this makes sense, I took the time to explain to be sure you know I don't think your site is "cheap", merely that's a message conveyed by the use of color.

I like the rest and appreciate the work you put into the prototype. It's coming along nicely.

-jim

5. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

The current one does look very dated, and has a lot of information that is un-needed.

check out my site, very straight forward and to the point.

I like your new one, dark/reds are always cool!

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

It looks mostly good, but it's broke'd in Safari :)

To the OP, I think the fonts are a bit big. Great start though, keep revising and fine tuning and let's see where you take this. And goood idea to make it narrower. The current site is wide.

And... ditto on the reflection. Reflections are cool when used right, this just doesn't seem like the right time.

Attached Files:

7. chostwales thread starter macrumors member

8. Apple iKid macrumors regular

Looks good! The new version is definitely easier to navigate.

9. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I think your old site design looks cleaner and would personally use that as a foundation for the new design.

10. Hysterio macrumors newbie

I think it would look nicer if you changed the color scheme actually. Possibly blue and white would look nice, and you can just change that with a few minutes of replacing hex codes. Other than that though, I don't think a color change is necessary and it looks nice.

11. chostwales thread starter macrumors member

As a couple of you have mentions blue now.

Here are the 2 separate versions.

http://chostwales.co.uk/2009design/index.php - Original
    http://chostwales.co.uk/2009design/index2.php - Blue
    http://chostwales.co.uk/2009design/index3.php - Blue other

Best

12. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

needs more of a consistent less cluttered design. also... maybe use a more professional looking font?

over all, not bad, but needs some work

13. dwcasey macrumors member

14. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

"Blue other" is a good start for me.

I still don't like the wide border effect. I mention this for two reasons, first some of those gray internal content boxes with rounded corners have 1 pixel border, so the site shows inconsistency. Secondly, the 1 pixel border is a more corporate, professional look. This helps expand your client base, believe me.

I agree with some of the other comments as well, this is just my observation on your hard work. And I appreciate your efforts, it really shows. Bravo!

-jim

15. Hysterio macrumors newbie

Blue other is much better, looks neater and more professional.
    Glad my input helped, other seem to like it as well, but try to fix the font to something more professional looking as doph said. And as the above poster said, make the border a bit smaller, it looks kind of childish with that huge line around everything.

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I like blue other most from the others. as an all black background especially on a business site is a fairly sore sight.

-I'd trim the borders down abit more so theyre not as thick.
    -Im not sure about the diagonal pattern in the back of the table areas.
    -Limit the use of too many rounded edges, maybe make the main table with rounded edges but allow the others to be a bit more distinctive and less busy.
    -text size - minimize it abit more, atleast for me it looks sort of in your face.

just my thoughts :cool:

17. jons macrumors 6502

Yeah I like the new site.

18. eclix macrumors newbie

@ vivithemage - You've got some serious spacing issues going on with your site while viewing in Safari... the body is half way across the screen!
    Firefox seems to open it okay though?

@ chostwales - I love the new design; it's very well balanced. Good colours and great logo.
    Better looking than 99% of hosting sites.

19. jordanste macrumors member

the blue on black is my favorite. also, increase the padding of the different list and paragraph containers. looks too cramped right now. if that means decreasing the font size a bit, thats okay. just let it breathe some more.