Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
My series 2 watch is slowly dying, so I’m thinking of buying the series 6 watch. I feel like the exterior design may change soon, so should I wait until series 7? What other features would apple add to series 7?

will apple make a round watch design?

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
7 is very near. So just let the 2 die a bit longer but not expecting any major feature upgrades in 7

No chance of round watch design sadly

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Here is a look at the upcoming round Samsung watch with WearOS in the messages app. Awful! It’s a smart display. Just not meant to be round.

1625108063908.png

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
It is easy to get something that's not finished (that would obviously be corrected in the future) and claim it is awful. Else going by the beta users in this forum...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It is easy to get something that's not finished (that would obviously be corrected in the future) and claim it is awful. Else going by the beta users in this forum...
It’s basic geometry. Fill in squared off corners on that circle display and you don’t have the issue as shown in that picture.

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
A round display is great for an analog clock. It's not great for viewing messages or emails. There's a reason why our phones and iPads are not round.
how many read long emails or see pictures or clips on a watch? Maybe there are those who do it but for my use, the notifications are there just to see if it is worth it taking the phone out to read. The workout rings would look better in a circular watch. So would many watch faces. If the Apple watch looked as good as a Fenix 6, a single watch could be used for all occasions

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
how many read long emails or see pictures or clips on a watch? Maybe there are those who do it but for my use, the notifications are there just to see if it is worth it taking the phone out to read. The workout rings would look better in a circular watch. So would many watch faces. If the Apple watch looked as good as a Fenix 6, a single watch could be used for all occasions
Thanks for your replies. I agree that I only use my iwatch for notifications, not to read a lengthy email. Therefore, I wouldn’t mind having a round watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.