New Desk for my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by roadkill401, May 3, 2016.

1. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Right now I have an old IKEA big wooden desktop that is 58x31" but it just takes up all the free space inside my room and as the desktop is just so large, has become a magnet for clutter.

I went back to ikea with the hopes of finding something a bit smaller that has some much needed storage built in so there is somewhere to put the USB drives and cables, and perhaps a side cupboard that i can hide the external drives (and their bright lights).

The question I need to know is how far away do you have between your iMac monitor face and the front of your desk. I will assume that the keyboard need to fit in somewhere, and do you require a keyboard tray or something similar? Do you raise the height of your iMac as well?

I was looking at the Micke desk that is a reasonable 41" wide but i think it might be too shallow at 19" deep. But then I think about when I use to use a laptop, the screen was an awful lot closer than what I have been using as I have pushed the iMac back against the wall on my current desk and there is quite a bit of space, but also 'junk' scattered in-front between the iMac and my keyboard/mouse/tablet. I am wondering if closer to the 24" offset is not better.

Some input of what others use and have found would be appreciated as this 27" iMac monitor is quite big and I don't want to mess up my eyes trying to use it.

2. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

My iMac 5k is about 18inches from my face.

I dont mint it being closer because it is retina. Looks good from any distance.
    If i didn't have retina I would probably sit about 25inches, since I hate seeing pixels.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

my iMac is 21" away I think that might a mite too close but my desk's dimensions prevent it going back further. I'd say a desk that is 19" wide may be too narrow, but it all depends on your usage. How far away is your iMac on your current desk?

4. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

My desk is 19" deep and I find the monitor is still too close to my face. It's an IKEA MICKE desk. I'm just about to buy a kitchen benchtop from IKEA to create my own desk, which will be 25" deep and I have no doubt it'll make all the difference.

BTW those MICKE desks warp in the middle over time by you resting your arms on them. I would not recommend them to anybody.

Edit: I just measured. On the MICKE desk it puts the monitor about 13" from your face.

5. roadkill401 thread starter macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Thanks Steeley for your replay.

I did end up purchasing the desk as I found that without out giving it a try to see the ergonomics of it, I could not wrap my head around it. Plus the wife was adamant that I do something about the mess in the room. Your thoughts about the desk warping over time, yes i understand why. the desk is made of low density particle board so like most other furniture of this type it will bend under a constant load.

What I have found out is that for my 6'2" height, the iMac screen is about 3-4" too low sitting on an average height desk top. With the issue of the desk being too narrow, I am going to build a riser shelf that will allow me to push the iMac 5" back along with rise it up the 4". I can align the shelf legs so they are over the verticals on the Micke and there will be no weight of the iMac then on the desk top part of the desk.

I am thinking this desk is a cheep solution for the next 3 years until I can build myself a custom desk out of wood that will fill my needs. You can't figure out what it is you do need until you have lived with something that does not.

6. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

I'm 6'2" as well and I've always wished that desk was about 2" or 3" taller, just so it's level with my arms. That's why I'm going the kitchen benchtop and adjustable legs route - I'll get a desk top that won't warp and a height that's suitable

Make sure you use a mouse pad because the coating on the desk comes off quite easily.

Keep us posted with how your mods turn out! I'm quite interested to see what you do with that devil desk.

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I bought an IKEA Jerker v2 for about $50 off Craigslist.

It's functional rather than pretty, but it's the best desk I've ever had. Not too wide, but plenty deep, and fully adjustable. I paired it with a Helmer for some drawer space.

The frame is indestructible, and if I ever tire of the desktop or shelves, it would be trivial to replace them. Easy to disassemble and move as well. The antithesis of the usual IKEA stuff. They tried a successor, the Fredrick, but it was more typical IKEA of the disposable, snap-together kind.

Some people ask crazy prices for them now, though.

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have a T-shaped desk in my office. The peninsula (where my iMac sits) is 42" wide, and I have my 5K 27" iMac and my wife's 21.5" older iMac sitting back-to-back. I just measured and my screen is 22" from my face. And my wife sits a bit closer to her 21.5" non-retina iMac.

9. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

I bought a credenza to use as my desk in my space-challenged office/bedroom. One of the better furniture choices I've made. Height is perfect (I'm 6'1") and I sit about 20" from a 32" 4K monitor.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I almost bought a Boltz desk years ago - the cold glass is what scared me away.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "Right now I have an old IKEA big wooden desktop that is 58x31" but it just takes up all the free space inside my room and as the desktop is just so large, has become a magnet for clutter."

I wouldn't change anything.
    That's what a big desk is supposed to look like ....! ;)