New Desktop Pictures and QuickTime X Icon in Latest Snow Leopard

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple appears to be making some final visual tweaks to Snow Leopard in their latest developer build. Several people have noticed that Apple has provided new Desktop pictures that come with the OS. Uneasy Silence offers a complete gallery of the images:

Another cosmetic changes include new avatars, an improved QuickTime pause button and a new QuickTime X icon:

Some behavior changes in Expose and scrubbing QuickTime movies have been noticed but were apparently introduced in earlier builds. Finally, there are reports that stability has significantly improved over the previous build.

Snow Leopard will be released in September and will be $29 for existing Mac OS X Leopard owners.

Article Link: New Desktop Pictures and QuickTime X Icon in Latest Snow Leopard

Heijtink

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Can we download the QuickTime logo from somewhere?just so I can already enter into SL mood.

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I love 'nighthawks' but not sure it works so great as a wallpaper

On second thoughts maybe it does

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
However

OpenGL still runs at less than half the speed than with 10.5! Run an OpenGL test In xbench under 10.5 and then under SL. On my MacBook I get a OpenGL score of 61 Under SL and about 150 under 10.5. No update yet has fixed it. Verfied it on 2 other macs. Anyone else notice this?

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Would anyone have a bigger version of the new avatars? I love the new wallpapers too.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Can we download those wallpapers from somewhere? And the QuickTime logo?just so I can already enter into SL mood.
Yes, wallpapers I uploaded to Flickr at full resolutions yesterday as soon as 10A421 came out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelflux/sets/72157621814869086/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelflux/sets/72157621814915596/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelflux/sets/72157621690589713/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelflux/sets/72157621815117208/

And the icon, in icns format, I'm attaching to this post.

Attachments

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Kinda liked the purple Quicktime icon, fitted well with the default Leopard wallpaper.
yeah i thought leopard & snow leopard brought the nebula look front and center with the OS. purple would've been great for Quicktime X, the blue feels a little aqua.

really digging the new wallpapers (desktop pictures) that come installed. wonder how much it costs apple to use them though?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
No marble wallpaper at least?
Nope, just some other rocks.

Would anyone have a bigger version of the new avatars? I love the new wallpapers too.
Really only 6-7 new ones and even those are "full size" are only 48x48. Either way, attaching the entire folder with all of them, including the old ones.

Attachments

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
OpenGL still runs at less than half the speed than with 10.5! Run an OpenGL test In xbench under 10.5 and then under SL. On my MacBook I get a OpenGL score of 61 Under SL and about 150 under 10.5. No update yet has fixed it. Verfied it on 2 other macs. Anyone else notice this?

People need to stop using Xbench as a measuring tool on SL. It's 3 years old and there have been a LOT of changes to Mac OS 10 since then.

"Version History
1.3 [2006-08-13]
Corrected a mistake that caused the altivec test to be turned off on PowerPC machines
Turned off coalesced graphics updates for all platforms on Mac OS 10.4.4 and higher
Switched compiler to GCC 4.0 on PowerPC. This provides some boost to floating point and AltiVec scores, and these have been recalibrated accordingly. This also raises Xbench's system requirements to 10.3.9 or higher.
Revised machine database to include the MacBook, Intel iMac and several other models
Added code to dynamically load machine database on launch from the Xbench website
Added support for temporarily turning off beam sync on Tiger while running graphics tests
Fixed an issue that causes Xbench to fail to launch on Leopard
Built with Xcode 2.4

It's Xbench that needs to be fixed not Snow Leopard.

Xcode 3.2 is a 64-bit app. Xcode 2.4 was a 32-bit app.

I'm guessing had Xbench been compiled on an Intel only machine using GCC 4.2 results for machines would be much different.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
yeah i thought leopard & snow leopard brought the nebula look front and center with the OS. purple would've been great for Quicktime X, the blue feels a little aqua.

really digging the new wallpapers (desktop pictures) that come installed. wonder how much it costs apple to use them though?
The Snow Leopard ones are from the National Geographic Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition, I remember seeing them in the London Natural History museum.

Here they are: Steve Winter's snow leopard photographs

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
Quick question: will snow leopard be a full retail operating system on the up to date disk or will it be the kind of thing where you need leopard to install snow leopard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.