New discovery in 2.0 (seriously)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AceFernalld, Jul 1, 2008.

1. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

While browing the Apple.com website earlier today, I discovered something minor, but what could be interesting to some.

I doubt this has been known before, and while being minor, it's a cool feature to me. I found the ability to rename Apps bought from the App Store. In the What's New video of the iPhone 3G/ 2.0 Software after downloading Super Monkey Ball it appears on the Home screen titled "Monkey Ball".

In the Home Screen section of iPhone 3G features I found this image:
    [​IMG]
    This shows Super Monkey Ball titled "Super MB".

I think there will probably be an option to rename Applications, just as you can re-arrange or delete them.

Either Apple has included the feature to rename 3rd party Applications, or someone screwed up photoshopping the image. I am posting about this because I previously wondered about this, and now I am sharing it with others. If this has been shown already, I apologize.

Edit: Here is what the video shows:
    [​IMG]

2. linden macrumors regular

linden

I think your defanetly on to somthing. Lets go all surelockholms on it!

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

theres also a copy of itunes surfaced for the iphone 3g which comes with the ability to unlock bricked iphones, its a build for use in store at apple shops I think. I had a look last night and all I noticed different was when I right clicked on my ipod in itunes it showed the percentage of my charge. when I ran the correct command to go into the unlock mode it said it couldn't sync my ipod and then my ipod vanished till i rebooted iTunes.

4. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

In the March 6th event, the App was also titled "Monkey Ball" I think that this is what the Apps name will be in the App Store, but you will be able to edit the name, just as Apple edited the name to "Super MB".

[​IMG]

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

woah, where did you get your hands on that? Care to share?

6. sargent bannana macrumors member

wow you sure have a keen eye but nice job noticeing that though i belive its a photoshop mistake.

7. AppleFan333 macrumors member

8. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Well, it might be just a photoshop mistake, but I hope not ;)

It doesn't make sense that they changed the name though, unless they're frantically going back and forth:
    June 9th: WWDC: Shown as 'Monkey Ball'
    June 9th: 3G iPhone Web Page: Shown as 'Super MB'
    July 1st: 3G iPhone Guided Tour: Shown as 'Monkey Ball' once again
    It seems that 'Monkey Ball' is SEGA's official name for it, but on that webpage, it's shown differently. Once again, either a photoshop mishap or displaying the ability to edit 3rd party App names. But hey, I'm just a rambling fanboy.

I sure do love them colons! :)

9. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

You mean unbrick bricked phones, and apple has had this for a while

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I would have taken the name shown in the App Store preview and on the Apple website to be the official name, and that it's been shortened to "Monkey Ball" so that the text doesn't cut off (due to the figure limit for the apps/widgets' names).

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the itunes that has been leaked is a build for stores to unbrick phones, and apple have had what for a while? the right click charging thing? I got latest official itunes and it aint a feature.