New Disk Utility

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by lugesm, Jul 19, 2015.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Disk Utility in El Capitan:
    What has happened to Disk Utility. I don't recognize anything in the new, smaller disk utility window, and I cannot figure out how to use the blasted thing.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I expect that you'll get to wait until ElCap is a little further along in development.
    Disk Utility is a major change in ElCap, and I notice that the help files are not updated at all, and some users here say that things like creating partitions is quite "interesting", to say the least.
    If you are in Disk Utility, looking for Repair Permissions - it's not in Disk Utility. I read that Apple considers that as something that is no longer necessary, so is removed from the UI. And, that's one change that I can agree with.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

I like the new Disk Utility. It certainly is a radical overhaul, but one for the better. It can now be used to see information without giving you that immediate sense of taking action. They made a clean cut by moving all those actions into the toolbar and using the content area for showing information about your drives. I always felt that Disk Utility was a bit messy as well, it was never really that easy to use in my opinion.

Aside from permissions repair, I think all the functionality is still in there. What is it that you want to do that you can’t figure out?

4. Lowe Lilliehorn macrumors regular

Lowe Lilliehorn

And simpler... Very simple.. But thats a good thing ;)