New Disk Utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wirenut, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Wirenut macrumors regular

I just upgraded my Mac and I noticed that the Disk Utility is different. It no longer shows different colors for each type of file saved ont he disk, so I can't see how much is music or video, etc. Is there a way to change it so I could see those things ont he bar graph?

Second, it now shows "Purgeable" on the bar graph, 11gigs in my case. So how do I purge that?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

You can see detailed space usage under "About this Mac". What exactly is considered 'purgeable' is not entirely clear. Apple only describes it on a high level in this support article.

3. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

One thing that I noticed since upgrading the OS is that in Photos the picture thumbnails are blurry for a second while in the past they were all clear right away. That tells me that the OS is putting them in the cloud.

4. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular

I went to Manage and then used the Reduce Clutter option to delete some things. I am wondering if there is any way to see what I deleted? I am now worried that I may have deleted something important. Is there any log or something?

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Are you doing any sort of backup of the computer? If not, you should think about that. Even better is doing at least 2 backups of the computer.

6. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular